Journalist shot dead by suspected bandits in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province

The undated picture shows journanlist Muhammad Bachal Ghunio who was shot dead by suspected bandits in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province. (Naimat Khan/X)
Short Url
Updated 27 August 2024
Follow

Journalist shot dead by suspected bandits in Pakistan’s southern Sindh province

  • Muhammad Bachal Ghunio from Awaz TV killed on Monday in Sindh’s Ghotki district
  • 11 journalists have been killed in Sindh this year according to tally by rights groups

KARACHI: A journalist was killed in an attack by suspected bandits operating in riverine areas of southern Pakistan, the provincial home ministry said on Tuesday, taking the total number of media workers killed this year in Sindh province to 11.

Muhammad Bachal Ghunio, associated with Awaz TV, was shot dead on Monday in the riverine areas surrounding Sindh’s Ghotki district. His family and locals suspect the involvement of riverine area bandits but police said the killing could be the result of “personal enmity.”

Last week, 12 policemen were killed when bandits attacked them with guns and rocket-propelled grenades in the Kacha area in Punjab’s Rahim Yar Khan district, which is known for hideouts along the Indus River where hundreds of heavily armed bandits evade police.

“The accused involved in the murder of journalist Muhammad Bachal Ghunio in an attack by dacoits in riverine areas should be brought to justice as soon as possible,” Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar said on Tuesday.

Bandits often rob people traveling on highways in Sindh, Punjab and elsewhere in the country. Some areas in the two provinces are so dangerous that people avoid traveling after sunset to avoid getting robbed, though police say they have cleared most “no-go areas.” Bandits also kidnap people for ransom in various parts of Pakistan.

Northern Sindh has become an increasingly dangerous region for journalists, with several killed and many falsely accused over the past few years.

The killing of Ghunio also comes a day after a local court rejected the bail plea of parliamentarian Khalid Lund and his sons Shahbaz Lund and Noor Muhammad Lund, suspects in the murder of another Ghotki journalist, Nasrullah Gadani, who was killed in May.

Pakistan is consistently ranked among the most dangerous countries for journalists, with many facing threats, intimidation, and violence. The government and military say they don’t persecute media workers. 

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), 103 journalists and media workers were killed in Pakistan between 1992 and 2024. A report published by Freedom Network in June said 10 media workers were killed in Sindh this year, with Ghunio’s murder taking the total to 11.
 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”