At least 15 Malian soldiers killed in suspected jihadist attack

File photo showing Malian soldiers driving through the streets of Bamako, Mali. Local officials say at least 15 government soldiers were killed in an attack blamed on Al-Qaeda-linked jihadists in central Mali on Thursday. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 August 2024
Follow

At least 15 Malian soldiers killed in suspected jihadist attack

  • Mali has since 2012 been plagued by different factions affiliated to Al-Qaeda and the Daesh group, as well as by self-declared self-defense forces and bandits
  • Late last month, Tuareg-led separatists killed 84 Russian mercenaries and 47 Malian soldiers in three days of intense fighting near the Algerian border

DAKAR: An attack blamed on Al-Qaeda-linked jihadists in central Mali has killed at least 15 soldiers, three local officials told AFP, in the latest violence to hit the troubled region.
Mali has for more than a decade been ravaged by jihadists and other armed groups, with the center of the West African country becoming a hotbed of violence since 2015.
“At least 15 Malian soldiers were killed on Thursday in an ambush by jihadists from the Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims,” an elected official from the central Mopti region told AFP, requesting anonymity due to security reasons.
The source added that there were also “missing and wounded soldiers.”
Another elected official confirmed the information, adding that the provisional toll included “14 members of the national guard and one gendarme.”
“Other soldiers are missing, and army equipment was taken away by the assailants,” the source added.
A separate local authority official said the attack occurred five kilometers (three miles) from the village of Diallassagou, adding that “there are more than 10 wounded and more than 15 dead in the Malian army.”
All spoke on the condition of anonymity for security reasons.
Contacted by AFP by telephone, a Malian military source in the regional capital Mopti said: “if you say that we have lost 15 people, you should know that the terrorists have lost more people,” employing a term often used to describe the jihadists.
Mali has since 2012 been plagued by different factions affiliated to Al-Qaeda and the Daesh group, as well as by self-declared self-defense forces and bandits.
At the end of July, the army and the Russian mercenary group Wagner suffered one of their biggest setbacks in years in northern Mali, picking up heavy losses at the hands of separatist rebels and jihadists.
In three days of intense fighting, Tuareg-led separatists said they had killed 84 Wagner fighters and 47 Malian soldiers.
The West African nation’s military leaders, who seized power in 2020 and 2021 coups, have made a priority of retaking control of all of the country from the separatists and jihadist forces.
Under Col. Assimi Goita, the junta broke off its traditional alliance with former colonial ruler France and has turned toward Russia.

 

 


French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

French minister pledges tight security at rally for killed activist

  • Deranque’s death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year
  • Macron has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence“

LYON: French police will be out in force at a weekend rally for a slain far-right activist, the interior minister said Friday, as the country seeks to contain anger over the fatal beating blamed on the hard left.
Quentin Deranque, 23, died from head injuries after being attacked by at least six people on the sidelines of a protest against a politician from the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) party in the southeastern city of Lyon last week.
His death has fomented tensions ahead of municipal elections next month and presidential polls next year, in which the far-right National Rally (RN) party is seen as having its best chance yet at winning the top job.
President Emmanuel Macron, who is serving his last year in office, has said there was no place in France “for movements that adopt and legitimize violence,” and urged the far right and hard left to clean up their act.
Deranque’s supporters have called for a march in his memory on Saturday in Lyon.
The Greens mayor of Lyon asked the state to ban it, but Interior Minister Laurent Nunez declined to do so.
Nunez said he had planned an “extremely large police deployment” with reinforcements from outside the city to ensure security at the rally expected to be attended by 2,000 to 3,000 people, and likely to see counter-protesters from the hard left show up.
“I can only ban a demonstration when there are major risks of public disorder and I am not in a position to contain them,” he told the RTL broadcaster.
“My role is to strike a balance between maintaining public order and freedom of expression.”

- ‘Fascist demonstration’ -

Jordan Bardella, the president of anti-immigration RN, has urged party members not to go.
“We ask you, except in very specific and strictly supervised local situations (a tribute organized by a municipality, for example), not to attend these gatherings nor to associate the National Rally with them,” he wrote in a message sent to party officials and seen by AFP.
LFI coordinator Manuel Bompard backed the mayor’s call for a ban, warning on X it would be a “fascist demonstration” that “over 1,000 neo-Nazis from all over Europe” were expected to attend.
Two people, aged 20 and 25, have been charged with intentional homicide in relation to the fatal beating, according to the Lyon prosecutor and their lawyers.
A third suspect has been charged with complicity in the killing.
Jacques-Elie Favrot, a 25-year-old former parliamentary assistant to LFI lawmaker Raphael Arnault, has admitted to having been present at the scene but denied delivering the blows that killed Deranque, his attorney said.
Favrot said “it was absolutely not an ambush, but a clash with a group of far-right activists,” he added.
Italy’s hard-right Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday said the killing of Deranque was “a wound for all of Europe.”
Referring to her comments, Macron said everyone should “stay in their own lane,” but Meloni later said that Macron had misinterpreted her comments.
Opinion polls put the far right in the lead for the presidency in 2027, when Macron will have to step down after the maximum two consecutive terms in office.