UK, France and Germany welcome mediation efforts to reach Gaza ceasefire deal

Diplomatic pressure on Israel intensified on August 16 to secure a truce that could avert a wider war after more than 10 months of fighting in Gaza, as mediators prepared for a second day of talks in Doha, Qatar. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 August 2024
Follow

UK, France and Germany welcome mediation efforts to reach Gaza ceasefire deal

  • Hamas officials said Friday they had rejected “new conditions” in the Gaza ceasefire proposal that US-led mediators presented in Doha

LONDON: The foreign ministers of the UK, France and Germany said on Saturday they welcomed American, Egyptian and Qatari efforts to reach a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of all hostages.

A joint statement said escalation in tensions would undermine these efforts and said there was “too much at stake” for a truce not to be reached.

“We, the foreign ministers of the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy, strongly support the ongoing mediation efforts by the United States, Egypt and Qatar to conclude the agreement for a ceasefire and the release of hostages and are encouraged by the constructive approach adopted so far,” the statement said. 

“We welcome the fact that technical work will continue over the coming days, including on both the humanitarian provisions and the specific arrangements relating to hostages and detainees, and that senior officials will then reconvene before the end of next week with the aim of concluding the agreement.

“We urge all parties to continue to engage positively and flexibly in this process. We underline the importance of avoiding any escalatory action in the region which would undermine the prospect for peace. There is too much at stake,” it added. 

Hamas officials said Friday they had rejected “new conditions” in the Gaza ceasefire proposal that US-led mediators presented during two days of talks in Qatar.

Diplomatic efforts have failed to alleviate the suffering endured over more than 10 months of war, but US President Joe Biden insisted after the latest round of talks that “we are closer than we have ever been.”


US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says

  • DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms
‌The US Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travelers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an ‌agency spokesperson as ‌saying on Saturday.
DHS began a ‌partial ⁠shutdown last week ⁠after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send ⁠it more money, the paper ‌said.
The agency is “making ‌tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing ‌the “general traveling population” at entry points, the ‌paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond ‌to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through ⁠a dedicated, ⁠faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.