Ukraine says advance into Russia ‘going well’, creates strategic buffer

A Ukrainian tank advances near the Russian border in Sumy region on August 11, 2024. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 15 August 2024
Follow

Ukraine says advance into Russia ‘going well’, creates strategic buffer

  • Kyiv’s surge into Russian territory last week caught Moscow by surprise.
  • Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to expel the Ukrainian troops

KYIV: Ukraine’s forces advanced further into Russia’s Kursk region on Wednesday as Kyiv said its gains would provide a strategic buffer zone to protect its border areas from Russian attacks.
Kyiv’s surge into Russian territory last week caught Moscow by surprise. Russian forces that began a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022 had been grinding out steady gains all year.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said he met top officials to discuss the humanitarian situation and establishing a military commandant’s offices “if needed” in an occupied area that Kyiv says exceeds 1,000 sq km (390 sq miles).
“We continue to advance further in Kursk,” Zelensky wrote on Telegram, “from one to two km in various areas since the start of the day.”
Later, in his nightly address, Zelensky referred to the growing number of Russian prisoners of war taken in Kursk who could be exchanged for Ukrainian fighters.
“Our advance in Kursk is going well today – we are reaching our strategic goal. The ‘exchange fund’ for our state has also been significantly replenished.”
Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said creation of a “buffer zone” was “designed to protect our border communities from daily enemy attacks.”
Russia has been pummelling Ukraine with strikes launched from adjacent border territories, including Kursk.
Ukraine complains its defense against such attacks has been hamstrung by the need to respect Western countries’ compunction about using their weapons against Russia’s hinterland rather than against its forces in occupied Ukraine. Zelensky once more urged Western allies to permit long-range missile strikes into Russia.

Russia claims downing 117 drones and 4 missiles
Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to expel the Ukrainian troops. He says they aim, with Western backing, to give Kyiv a stronger hand in possible future ceasefire talks. But more than a week of intense battles have so far failed to oust them.
“The situation remains difficult,” said Yuri Podolyaka, an influential Ukrainian-born, pro-Russian military blogger.
Ukraine’s General Staff said Kyiv hit four Russian military airfields overnight in the Russian regions of Voronezh, Kursk and Nizhniy Novgorod, targeting fuel stores and aerial weapons. Zelensky called the attack “timely” and “accurate.”
The aim of the long-range drone strike was to undermine Russia’s ability to attack Ukraine with glide bombs, a Ukrainian security source told Reuters on condition of anonymity. Ukraine’s military said it had destroyed a Russian Su-34.

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)


Moscow said it shot down 117 of the Ukrainian drones as well as four missiles. The Russian Defense Ministry posted a video on Telegram that it said showed Sukhoi Su-34 bombers striking Ukrainian positions in Kursk region.
Later, Russia’s defense ministry said its forces had repelled a series of Ukrainian attacks inside Kursk, including at Russkoye Porechnoye, 18 km (11 miles) from the border. Some pro-Russian war bloggers said the front had been stabilized, while state television said Moscow’s forces were turning the tide.
Russia’s National Guard said it was beefing up security at the Kursk nuclear power plant, just 35 km (22 miles) from the fighting.
In the Russian border region of Belgorod, governor Vyacheslav Gladkov declared a state of emergency.
Russia says it has already evacuated around 200,000 people from the border zone. The acting governor of the Kursk region late on Wednesday said on Telegram that residents of the border settlement of Glushkovo were ordered to evacuate.

Ukraine plans civilian evacuation corridors
Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said Kyiv would open humanitarian corridors for evacuating civilians toward both Russia and Ukraine.
Ukrainian officials said Kyiv would also arrange access for international humanitarian organizations, likely to include the International Committee of the Red Cross and the United Nations.
The unprecedented incursion carries major risks for Russia, Ukraine and the West, which is keen to avoid a direct confrontation between Russia and the US-led NATO military alliance that has helped arm Ukraine.
US President Joe Biden said US officials were in constant touch with Kyiv over the incursion, although the White House said Washington had not received advance notice and had no involvement.
Russian officials say Ukraine’s Western backers must have known of the attack. “Of course they are involved,” lawmaker Maria Butina told Reuters.
The offensive could leave Ukrainian forces more exposed on other parts of the front, where Russia has been slowly adding to the 18 percent of Ukrainian territory it now controls.
The heaviest fighting is still in the Donetsk region, and Zelensky said his forces there would receive more weapons than planned from the next Western support package.
Ukraine’s top commander, Oleksandr Syrskyi, said the Russian town of Sudzha, a transhipment hub for Russian natural gas flowing to Europe via Ukraine, was fully under Ukrainian control. Natural gas was still flowing on Wednesday. “Sudzha is under Ukrainian control. However, Ukraine has no intention of claiming someone else’s land,” the Kyiv foreign ministry said on X.
The Russian rouble fell further against the dollar on Wednesday, for a loss of over 8 percent since the incursion began.


Former South Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Former South Korea leader Yoon gets life in prison for insurrection

  • Yoon Suk Yeol abruptly declared martial law in a televised address in December 2024
  • Hardline conservative was later impeached, arrested and charged with a litany of crimes
SEOUL: A South Korean court sentenced ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol to life in prison on Thursday after finding him guilty of leading an insurrection with his martial law declaration in 2024.
Yoon abruptly declared martial law in a televised address in December 2024, saying drastic measures were needed to root out “anti-state forces” in South Korea’s National Assembly.
The 65-year-old hardline conservative was later impeached, arrested and charged with a litany of crimes ranging from insurrection to obstruction of justice.
Presiding judge Ji Gwi-yeon said Yoon sent troops to the assembly building in an effort to silence political opponents who had frustrated his attempts to govern.
“The court finds that the intention was to paralyze the assembly for a considerable period,” Ji told the Seoul Central District Court.
“The declaration of martial law resulted in enormous social costs, and it is difficult to find any indication that the defendant has expressed remorse for that,” the judge said.
“We sentence Yoon to life imprisonment.”
Former defense minister Kim Yong-hyun was sentenced to 30 years in prison for his role in the crisis.
Prosecutors had sought the harshest penalty for Yoon’s insurrection charges, urging the court during hearings in January to sentence him to death.
South Korea has an unofficial moratorium on capital punishment — the last prisoners were executed in 1997 — with a death sentence effectively banishing Yoon to life behind bars.
Unpleasant memories
Thousands of supporters gathered outside the court ahead of the verdict, toting placards that read “Yoon Great Again” or “Drop the charge against President Yoon.”
There were loud cries as a blue prison bus believed to be transporting the former president made its way into the court complex.
Police clad in neon-colored jackets gathered in force outside the courthouse to quell any unrest triggered by the verdict.
They formed a makeshift barricade with police buses parked nose-to-tail around the courthouse.
South Korea has long been seen as a shining light of stable democracy in Asia, but Yoon’s failed bid to seize power stirred unpleasant memories of the military coups that jolted the nation between 1960 and 1980.
Yoon has been held in solitary confinement while fighting multiple criminal trials.
He has consistently denied wrongdoing, arguing he acted to “safeguard freedom” and restore constitutional order against what he called an opposition-led “legislative dictatorship.”
Prosecutors accused him of leading an “insurrection” driven by a “lust for power aimed at dictatorship and long-term rule.”
Martial law
Under South Korean law, only two sentences are fit for insurrection: life imprisonment or death.
Yoon has already been sentenced to five years in prison on lesser charges, while a host of senior officials also face hefty prison terms.
Yoon broke into late-night TV on December 3, 2024, to deliver a shock address to the nation.
Pointing to vague threats of North Korean influence and dangerous “anti-state forces,” he declared the suspension of civilian government and the start of military rule.
Martial law was lifted six hours later after lawmakers raced to the assembly building to hold an emergency vote.
Staffers barricaded the doors with office furniture to keep armed troops at bay.
The declaration triggered flash protests, sent the stock market into panic and caught key military allies such as the United States off guard.
Yoon’s wife Kim Keon Hee was sentenced to 20 months’ jail earlier in January on unrelated charges stemming from bribes she took while first lady.