Indian soldier killed in Jammu and Kashmir clashes— army ​

Security personnel stand guard as Hindu devotees begin their pilgrimage to the cave shrine of Amarnath from a base camp in Pahalgam on June 29, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 August 2024
Follow

Indian soldier killed in Jammu and Kashmir clashes— army ​

  • Gunbattles erupted last Tuesday in forests near tourist resort of Patni Top
  • Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India, Pakistan since 1947

SRINAGAR, India: Soldiers in Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir battled insurgents on Wednesday, the army said, with a captain killed in clashes in the disputed territory.

The Indian army, in a post on social media platform X, offered its “deepest condolences” over the death of the officer.

The violence is the latest in a string of clashes in the Hindu-dominated southern Jammu region this year.

Gunbattles erupted last Tuesday in forests near the tourist resort of Patni Top and local media reported a civilian and a suspected militant were also wounded.

Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since their independence from British rule in 1947, with each side claiming it in full.

Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh called a meeting with army, security, and intelligence chiefs on Wednesday after the latest clashes in Jammu, which had been relatively peaceful for the past two decades.

Thousands of additional troops, drones and sniffer dogs have been deployed in the mountainous terrain, where new army posts are being set up.

The fighting comes as the region prepares for the expected announcement of the first local assembly elections in a decade.

Rebel groups have waged an insurgency since 1989, demanding independence for the territory or its merger with Pakistan.

The fighting has killed tens of thousands of civilians, soldiers and rebels.

India and Pakistan accuse each other of stoking militancy and espionage to undermine each other and the nuclear-armed rivals have fought several conflicts for control of the region.


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.