Pakistan, Turkiye express concerns over Israel’s ‘genocide’ in Gaza, demand urgent ceasefire 

Palestinians attend the funeral of members of the Najjar family, killed in an Israeli strike, in Khan Yunis in the southern Gaza Strip on August 12, 2024, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Hamas militant group. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 August 2024
Follow

Pakistan, Turkiye express concerns over Israel’s ‘genocide’ in Gaza, demand urgent ceasefire 

  • Turkish delegation holds bilateral political delegations with Pakistani leadership in Islamabad
  • Israel’s relentless military campaign has killed over 40,000 people in Gaza since October last year

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary Muhammad Syrus and Turkiye’s Deputy Foreign Minister Nuh Yilmaz stressed the need for an urgent ceasefire in Gaza on Tuesday, state media reported, expressing concerns over Israel’s “genocide” in the Middle East. 

The development took place during a meeting between the two diplomats on the occasion of the seventh session of the Pakistan-Türkiye Bilateral Political Consultations in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad. The two sides reviewed all aspects of bilateral cooperation between Pakistan and Türkiye, including political relations, trade and investment, energy, security and defense, state broadcaster Radio Pakistan said. 

“The two sides also expressed serious concerns on Israel’s ongoing war in Gaza and genocide of the Palestinian people and stressed the need for an urgent ceasefire,” Radio Pakistan said.

The Middle East region has been thrown into turmoil by the war in Gaza, now into its 11th month. Hostilities escalated after a Hamas-led attack on Israeli communities around the Gaza Strip in October last year killed some 1,200 people, with more than 250 taken into captivity, according to Israeli tallies. 

The attack proved to be one of the most devastating blows against Israel in its history. In response, Israeli forces have flattened Gaza, displaced most of the population and killed around 40,000 people, according to the Palestinian health ministry, in a war that has caused horror around the world.

Gaza health officials say most of the fatalities have been civilians while Israel says it has lost 329 soldiers in Gaza.

Pakistan does not recognize nor have diplomatic relations with Israel and calls for an independent Palestinian state based on “internationally agreed parameters” and the pre-1967 borders with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital.

Since the beginning of Israel’s war on Gaza, Pakistan has repeatedly raised the issue at the United Nations, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and other multilateral platforms and demanded international powers and bodies stop Israeli military actions in Gaza. The South Asian country has also dispatched several aid consignments for the Palestinians.


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.