Indonesia, Malaysia urge UN to unite against Israel after latest massacre in Gaza

Malaysia's Foreign Minister Mohamad Hasan speaks during an OIC meeting in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on Aug.7, 2024. (Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2024
Follow

Indonesia, Malaysia urge UN to unite against Israel after latest massacre in Gaza

  • Southeast Asian nations have been critical of Israel and vocal supporters of Palestine
  • Israel has killed at least 274 people in string of attacks on schools in Gaza since July, UN says

JAKARTA: Indonesia and Malaysia have called on the UN to unite against Tel Aviv to stop the mass killing of civilians in Gaza, after the latest Israeli attack on a school — at least the 21st in the past 40 days — left more than 100 people dead.

At least three Israeli missiles struck the Al-Tabin school in Gaza City — which was sheltering displaced Palestinians – in the early hours of Saturday, targeting people performing dawn prayers at a mosque inside the educational facility.

Early reports citing paramedics and witnesses said that identification of the victims was impossible as “bodies were ripped to pieces” in the attack.

Following the massacre, Indonesia and Malaysia, both of which are vocal supporters of Palestine and have been critical of Israel since the beginning of its invasion of Gaza in October, called on the international community to hold Tel Aviv accountable.

“The international community should no longer tolerate and accept the belligerence of Israel,” the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Sunday.

“Malaysia continues to call for Israel’s allies to compel Israel to immediately stop the killings of innocent Palestinians, and to stop providing Israel with the tools to continue this genocide. An immediate, urgent and decisive action by the UN Security Council is needed to enforce a permanent ceasefire.”

Malaysia said that Israel has shown “that it has no desire for peace” and urged other Muslim countries under the 57-member Organization of Islamic Cooperation to come together and work with UN member states to demand Tel Aviv comply with the UN Security Council resolution passed in June, which called for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Israel’s ground and air attacks over more than 300 days have killed almost 40,000 Palestinian citizens in the besieged strip, according to official estimates, though a study published in the Lancet journal last month estimated that the actual death toll could exceed 186,000.

Israel’s airstrike on Saturday has sparked a new wave of international condemnation, with the UN Human Rights Office saying that it was at least the 21st attack on schools-turned-shelters that it has recorded since July 4. The strikes have killed at least 274 Palestinians in total, including women and children, the agency added.

Israel has defended its latest operation and claimed that the school was a “command and control center” that “served as a hideout for Hamas terrorists and commanders.”

Indonesia has also joined growing calls for the UN Security Council to “immediately conduct a comprehensive investigation” into the Al-Tabin school massacre.

“Indonesia also calls upon the international community to unite in stopping the crimes against humanity and genocide committed by Israel,” the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

“Israel must be held accountable for all these crimes, and all forms of impunity must be brought to an end.”


Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

  • The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to a labor alliance
  • The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines
JOHANNESBURG: Five miners were trapped deep underground at a South African diamond mine after a mudslide flooded a shaft they were working in, mine officials and a labor union said Thursday.
The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Congress of South African Trade Unions — an alliance of labor unions that includes the main mineworkers union. The congress said the miners were thought to be trapped around 800 meters (half a mile) underground.
Ekapa Mining General Manager Howard Marsden, whose company operates the mine, told national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday that rescuers were pumping water out of the shaft while a separate team was trying to drill a hole to where the miners were believed to be trapped to try to establish communication with them “or any proof of life.”
The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines and was at the heart of the global industry after diamonds were discovered in the area in the late 1800s.
The Minerals Council of South Africa said this month in its annual safety report that 41 miners died in mining accidents in South Africa last year, a record low and down from hundreds a year in the 1990s and early 2000s.
South Africa is among the world’s biggest producers of diamonds and gold, and the top producer of platinum.