13 killed in India floods, stranded pilgrims airlifted

Heavy monsoon downpours in India’s Himalayan foothills triggered flash floods. (National Disaster Response Force/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 August 2024
Follow

13 killed in India floods, stranded pilgrims airlifted

  • Flooding and landslides are common and cause widespread devastation during India’s treacherous monsoon season
  • District officials say around 700 people were rescued by airlift while traveling to Kedarnath temple

DEHRADUN, India: Monsoon downpours caused flash floods that killed 13 people in India’s Himalayan foothills, officials said Friday, with helicopters rescuing hundreds stranded near a renowned Hindu shrine.
Flooding and landslides are common and cause widespread devastation during India’s treacherous monsoon season, but experts say climate change is increasing their frequency and severity.
Thirteen deaths have been reported across the northern state of Uttarakhand so far, disaster official Vinod Kumar Suman said.
District officials said around 700 people were rescued by airlift while traveling to Kedarnath temple, a popular pilgrimage destination dedicated to the Hindu deity Shiva.
“We are flying multiple choppers to bring down the pilgrims who were on their way,” Suman said.
The temple sits nearly 3,600 meters above sea level and access is only possible in the summer via a grueling 22-kilometer uphill trek.
It is thronged by thousands of pilgrims each year at a time when the annual monsoon downpours are at their peak.
Monsoon rains across the region from June to September offer respite from the summer heat and are crucial to replenishing water supplies.
They are also vital for agriculture, and therefore the livelihoods of millions of farmers and food security for South Asia’s nearly two billion people.
More than 200 people were killed in the southern state of Kerala this week when landslides hit villages and tea plantations, with search and rescue operations ongoing.
Two others were killed this week in neighboring Himachal Pradesh state, where rescuers are still searching for more than two dozen reported missing.


Austria avalanches kill two: police

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Austria avalanches kill two: police

  • A 21-year-old Slovak was skiing off-piste “without avalanche safety equipment“
  • A 41-year-old Austrian was “swept away by the avalanche and completely buried“

VIENNA: Two people were killed in avalanches in the Austrian Alps on Saturday, bringing to seven the number of people killed in the country since Friday after heavy snowfall.
A 21-year-old Slovak was skiing off-piste “without avalanche safety equipment” when a “slab of snow broke off above him,” and killed him instantly, police in Styria province said.
Elsewhere in the Tyrol region, a 41-year-old Austrian was “swept away by the avalanche and completely buried,” regional police said on their website. The man later died in hospital after being rescued.
Experts had urged skiers to avoid off-piste slopes after five people — four in Tyrol and one in Vorarlberg — were killed Friday in avalanches triggered by a major snowstorm.
Twenty-four people have been killed this winter season in avalanches in Austria, a country popular for winter sports, according to an updated toll released Saturday.
Up to 40 centimeters (16 inches) of snow fell on the Alpine nation since Thursday, causing power outages and transport chaos.
A man was also crushed to death Friday by a snow plow that fell down a flight of stairs.