Nadal defeated in first tour final in two years

Nuno Borges in action against Rafael Nadal. The Portuguese broke Nadal serve five times on his way to victory on Monday. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 21 July 2024
Follow

Nadal defeated in first tour final in two years

  • Borges dominates Spanish star as the latter struggled to find fluency

BASTAD, Sweden: Rafael Nadal lost his first final in two years on Sunday as the Spaniard went down 6-3, 6-2 to Portugal’s Nuno Borges at the clay-court Bastad Open.

The Spanish tennis great had shown signs of a return to form in Scandinavia as he made an impressive run to the final, just one week before tennis at the Olympic Games gets underway on the clay in Paris.

But Nadal, rather than celebrating his 64th title on the surface and first since Roland Garros 2022, was dominated by Borges as he struggled to find fluency with his serve and ground strokes.

“I don’t know what to say. I think I was wishing for this moment for a while already,” said Borges in his post-match interview.

“It’s crazy; in tennis, it doesn’t happen when you expect it sometimes. I know we all wanted Rafa to win; a part of me wished that too, but something even bigger inside of me really pushed through today ... I’m just really happy overall. I really don’t know what to say, I’m very emotional.”

Elsewhere, Matteo Berrettini breezed to a 6-3, 6-1 win against France’s Quentin Halys in the Gstaad final, earning the Italian his second clay-court title of the year. 

The sixth seed Berrettini capped off a fine week in Switzerland by needing just 59 minutes to dispatch the world No. 192 Halys.

“It feels unbelievable. It feels like it was yesterday that I won my first title here six years ago, but a lot of matches and a lot of things happened,” said Berrettini.

“I’m just so glad that I can keep playing and enjoying, and I think I found the energy of six years ago during this week. This place is special for me. I’m just so happy,” added the 28-year-old who has struggled with injuries since reaching a career-high world number six in May 2022.

Berrettini’s second title on clay this season, after winning in Marrakech in April, will ensure he breaks back into the ATP top 50 on Monday.

Currently ranked 82, Berrettini was outside of the top 150 in March but a return to fitness and a fine 16-6 record for the current season has seen the 2021 Wimbledon finalist begin to refind his best level.

Sunday’s final was briefly interrupted for rain just after Berrettini secured a crucial first break in the opening set.

When the players returned 30 minutes later, the Italian won six of the next seven games to claim his second Gstaad title.


Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Top seeds head into last 16 on a windy afternoon at the Dubai Tennis Championships

  • Coco Gauff (No. 3 seed), Jessica Pegula (No. 4), Mirra Andreeva (No. 5) and Belinda Bencic (No. 9) all progress
  • Last year’s beaten finalist, Clara Tauson (No. 12), and rising US star Iva Jovic (No. 16) also still in the hunt, as is ‘lucky loser’ Antonia Ruzic

DUBAI: A raft of seeds booked passage into the Round of 16 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships as the action heated up amid glorious, if breezy, winter conditions on Tuesday.

Nine matches were completed during daylight hours on day three of the WTA 1000 event at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. Coco Gauff, the World No. 4, and No. 3 seed this week, defeated Anna Kalinskaya 6-4, 6-4 in little more than 90 minutes.

As blustery winds swirled across Center Court, the conditions were challenging for both players and the momentum of the game resembled a pendulum. Ultimately, however, the American prevailed against the Russian, who had defeated her en route to the 2024 final at the event.

“It wasn’t the prettiest win but it was enough for today,” said Gauff.

Regarding the weather conditions that caused havoc for both players, she added: “It was pretty windy; it felt very open on the (Royal Box) side, so I was trying to adjust a lot and was struggling with consistency. Every time I’ve been here it’s not been windy, so today was different.”

Gauff will face Elise Mertens in the last 16 on Wednesday, after the Belgian dispatched 14th seed Emma Navarro of the US 6-2, 6-2 in just 75 minutes on Court 1.

Asked how she will prepare, Gauff said: “I feel fine; it wasn’t that long of a match. (My focus) will be more trying to work on things I need for tomorrow’s match.”

Also on Center Court, No. 4 seed Jessica Pegula made quick work of French qualifier Varvara Gracheva, requiring just 70 minutes to triumph 6-4, 6-0. The world No. 5’s victory set up an all-American clash with talented young compatriot Iva Jovic, who saw off Russia’s Diana Shnaider 6-4, 1-6, 6-0.

Last year’s defeated Dubai finalist, Clara Tauson of Denmark, continued her fine run of form with a trouble-free 6-2, 6-4 victory on Court 2 over Peyton Stearns of the US. The reward for Tauson, who eliminated 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in the first round, is an eagerly anticipated showdown with Polish seed-extinguisher Magda Linette, who ousted World No. 12 Ekaterina Alexandrova, this week’s No. 8 seed, in a 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 roller coaster.

The 2019 Dubai champion, Belinda Bencic of Switzerland, progressed to the last 16 in a walkover after the injury-enforced withdrawal of Czech wildcard Sara Bejlek. Russian No. 5 seed Mirra Andreeva also received a walkover win when Russian-Australian Daria Kasatkina withdrew before play began.

Andreeva, the reigning champion, will face Jaqueline Cristian in the last 16 on Wednesday after the Romanian progressed past German qualifier Ella Seide, who retired after losing the first set 6-0.

Finally, Antonia Ruzic — the “lucky loser” who was defeated in the first qualifying round but made it to the main tournament as an alternate following withdrawals, and then sent British star Emma Raducanu packing on Monday evening — maintained her solid form to progress.

The Croatian saw off Anastasia Zakharova 6-1, 6-7, 6-1 in her second three-set epic in less than 24 hours. Depending on the evening’s remaining results, Ruzic could now face top seed Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan in the last 16. She was due to plays Australian qualifier Kimberly Birrell on Center Court at 7pm UAE time on Tuesday.

The 26th annual WTA event, which continues until Feb. 21, featured 16 of the top 20-ranked female players in the world, and 33 from the top 40.