ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani government on Monday said it had imposed a “legitimate” ban on social media platform X, which was aimed at addressing national security concerns.
The statement was part of the interior ministry’s written response submitted to the Sindh High Court (SHC) with regard to a number of petitions filed against the ban and intermittent suspension of Internet services.
Authorities have blocked X, formerly known as Twitter, since February 17 after protests swept the South Asian country over allegations of vote rigging in a general election held earlier that month.
Digital rights activists and rights groups have described the shutdown, either partial or full, as a “violation” of civil liberties in the South Asian nation of more than 241 million.
But the interior ministry in its response said the ban did not contravene Article 19 of the constitution, which guarantees the right to freedom of speech and expression.
“The decision to impose a ban on Twitter/X is a legitimate exercise of the Government’s authority to regulate the use of social media platforms,” the ministry said.
“It is aimed at addressing genuine concerns related to national security and public safety, and it is undertaken with due consideration for the overarching goal of promoting responsible and lawful communication in our society.”
Pakistani authorities have long struggled to regulate social media content through different legislations, prompting critics to accuse them of trying to quell dissent.
In May this year, the government established the National Cyber Crimes Investigation Agency (NCCIA) under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA) 2016 to probe electronic crimes, making digital rights activists describe it as yet another official attempt to stifle criticism online.
The NCCIA was approved by the caretaker government of Prime Minister Anwar-ul-Haq Kakar last year to take over cybercrime investigations from the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).
While the government says the move was meant to protect digital rights of millions of users, encourage responsible Internet use and prevent hate speech and disinformation, digital rights activists say successive governments have drafted new laws or amended old ones to curb online dissent and file criminal charges against journalists and activists to restrict freedom of speech and expression.
Pakistan government says X ban ‘legitimate,’ aimed at addressing national security concerns
https://arab.news/zc96e
Pakistan government says X ban ‘legitimate,’ aimed at addressing national security concerns
- Authorities have blocked X, formerly known as Twitter, since Feb 17 after protests swept Pakistan over alleged vote rigging
- Digital rights activists and rights groups have described the shutdown, either partial or full, as a ‘violation’ of civil liberties
Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo
- The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions AustraliaThe second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia
- Zimbabwe, who did not qualify in 2024, top Group B with a stunning unbeaten campaign
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will take on New Zealand in their T20 World Cup Super Eight stage clash in Colombo on Saturday, with both sides looking to strengthen their chances of reaching the knockouts.
The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group. Instead, Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.
Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, head coach Mike Hesson said on Friday. Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The match is scheduled to start at 6:30pm Pakistan time.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup... We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end,” Hesson said.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that...He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” he said. “To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”










