Indian soldiers kill three suspected Kashmir militants

Indian army personnel look on during a search operation in Reasi on June 10, 2024, after gunmen in Kashmir ambushed the bus packed with Hindu pilgrims. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 June 2024
Follow

Indian soldiers kill three suspected Kashmir militants

  • Exchange of fire occurs in remote Doda area during search operation, says police
  • Latest clash takes place days before a major Hindu festival is to take place 

SRINAGAR, India: Three suspected militants were killed Wednesday in Indian-administered Kashmir during a daylong firefight with soldiers, police said, the latest incident in an uptick of attacks in the disputed territory.

Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since their independence from British rule in 1947.

Indian police said the exchange of fire in the remote Doda area came after security forces launched a search operation based on intelligence about the presence of militants.

Three “terrorists” were killed during the ensuing firefight, police said in a post on social media platform X.

“Arms and ammunition have been recovered from their possession,” the post said.

The latest clash in the forested area, some 200 kilometers (124 miles) south of the main city of Srinagar, came days before a major Hindu pilgrimage is set to begin.

Two suspected militants were killed in a residential area of northern Kashmir valley last week.
India and Pakistan both claim Kashmir in full and have fought three wars for control of the Himalayan region.

Rebel groups have waged an insurgency since 1989, demanding independence for the territory or its merger with Pakistan.

The conflict has killed tens of thousands of civilians, soldiers and rebels.

Nine Indian Hindu pilgrims were killed and dozens wounded this month when a gunman opened fire on a bus carrying them from a shrine in the southern Reasi area.

It was one of the deadliest attacks in years and the first on Hindu pilgrims in Kashmir since 2017, when gunmen killed seven people in another ambush on a bus.


Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Australian warship transits Taiwan Strait, tracked by China’s navy

  • In addition to claiming sovereignty over democratically governed Taiwan, Beijing views the narrow, highly strategic strait as Chinese territorial waters
SYDNEY: An Australian warship sailed through the Taiwan Strait, a government source said on Sunday, in the latest ​transit of the sensitive waterway by a US ally that Chinese state-backed media said was tracked and monitored by the nation’s military.
In addition to claiming sovereignty over democratically governed Taiwan, Beijing views the narrow, highly strategic strait as Chinese territorial waters and has responded aggressively on occasion to foreign navies ‌sailing there.
The ‌Toowoomba, an Anzac-class frigate of ​the ‌Royal Australian ⁠Navy, “conducted ​a routine ⁠transit through the Taiwan Strait” on Friday and Saturday as part of a “Regional Presence Deployment in the Indo-Pacific region,” the source said.
“All interactions with foreign ships and aircraft were safe and professional,” the source said.
China’s state-backed Global Times newspaper, citing an unnamed Chinese ⁠military source, reported late on Saturday ‌that “the Chinese People’s Liberation ‌Army carried out full-process tracking, monitoring, ​and alert operations throughout ‌the transit.”
Taiwan’s defense ministry said in a statement ‌that it closely monitors the skies and waters around the island and that the strait is an international waterway for which all countries enjoy the right of freedom of navigation.
“The ‌Ministry of National Defense will not proactively disclose the movements of aircraft and ⁠ships ⁠of friendly allied countries,” it added, without elaborating.
US warships traverse the strait every few months, enraging Beijing, and some US allies such as France, Australia, Britain and Canada have also made occasional transits.
China has ramped up its military presence around Taiwan and staged its latest war games around the island in late December.
Taiwan’s government rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims, saying only the island’s people can decide their ​future.