Tamberi puts on a show in Rome to win another European high jump title

Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi competes in the men’s high jump final during the European Athletics Championships at the Olympic stadium in Rome on June 11, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 June 2024
Follow

Tamberi puts on a show in Rome to win another European high jump title

  • Tamberi: I pretended to be injured and hid springs in my shoes. I think some people fell for it. I did great things. Now it’s time for the Olympics
  • Warholm of Norway and Bol of the Netherlands won the men’s and women’s 400 hurdles by large margins — with both setting championship records
  • The championships end Wednesday when Armand Duplantis could make another attempt at extending his pole vault world record

ROME: Gianmarco Tamberi bowed to Italy’s president before and during the competition. Then came an embrace in the stands with his country’s leader when the charismatic Olympic high jump champion clinched another European title and sealed his status as a favorite to defend gold at the Paris Games.

Tamberi, styled in his preferred half-shaved beard, had already won the competition before he cleared a championship-record 2.37 meters on his first attempt to add more luster to his third title at the European athletics championships on Tuesday.

“I knew I was in a superb shape and I proved it,” Tamberi said. “I pretended to be injured and hid springs in my shoes. I think some people fell for it. I did great things. Now it’s time for the Olympics.”

Two Ukrainians, Vladyslav Lavskyy (2.29) and Oleh Doroshchuk (2.26), took silver and bronze, respectively.

Up next for Tamberi, who shared gold with his good friend Mutaz Barshim at the Tokyo Games, is another meeting on Thursday with Italy President Sergio Mattarella to officially be handed the country’s flag that he and fencer Arianna Errigo will carry at the Paris opening ceremony on July 26.

Tamberi is also the captain of Italy’s rapidly improving athletics team, who are leading the medals table at the Euros with a national record 10 golds and 20 medals overall.

Karsten Warholm of Norway and Femke Bol of the Netherlands won the men’s and women’s 400 hurdles, respectively, by large margins — with both setting championship records.

Warholm clocked 46.98 — more than a second off his world record of 45.94 set at the Tokyo Olympics.

Bol won in 52.49 to shave 0.18 off her championship record from two years ago and reclaim the season lead from American standout Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, who ran 52.70 on May 31.

Bol finished nearly two seconds ahead of silver medalist Louise Maraval of France, while her Dutch teammate Cathelijn Peeters took bronze.

So how does Bol keep going when she’s so far ahead of the rest of the field?

“I visualize I’m running toward someone. It always helps me a lot,” she said. “But when you have an atmosphere like this, it also helps a lot. You hear the crowd and you just want to do well for them. … They were already applauding for Gianmarco. It was something crazy.”

Warholm established a big lead but then silver medalist Alessandro Sibilio made up some ground during the final meters.

“I was testing the pace a little bit in the beginning, going out super hard and then coming up on the home stretch, testing a little bit the same stride pattern as yesterday,” Warholm said. “It was a little bit of a stutter step there. But I felt strong coming off hurdle 10 and I was in control.

“For Paris there will be some more (speed). … This is a good step on the road. But this is more to build confidence, and of course to get the gold medal. But in Paris everything will be as sharp as possible.”

There was also a championship record in the triple jump, when Jordan Diaz of Spain leaped 18.18 to improve on Jonathan Edwards’ mark of 17.99 from more than a quarter century ago.

Silver medalist Pedro Pichardo of Portugal, the Cuban-born Olympic champion, also beat Edwards’ mark with 18.04, while Thomas Gogois of France took bronze with 17.38.

Along with the long jump, the triple jump was held on a raised platform right next to the Stadio Olimpico stands that competitors said provided more “bounce.”

The championships end Wednesday when Armand Duplantis could make another attempt at extending his pole vault world record. Also, Marcell Jacobs and Olympic champion Italy will have the home crowd behind them in the 4x100 relay.


Former cricket captains urge Pakistan to ensure better medical care for Imran Khan in prison

Updated 10 sec ago
Follow

Former cricket captains urge Pakistan to ensure better medical care for Imran Khan in prison

  • In a letter to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, 14 former captains, including India’s Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev, called for Khan to be treated with “dignity and basic human consideration”
  • “The conditions of his imprisonment over the past two and a half years have caused us profound concern,” the cricketers wrote

ISLAMABAD: More than a dozen former international cricket captains have urged Pakistan’s government to ensure better treatment in prison and medical care for former cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan, citing concerns about his eyesight, as his party demanded Wednesday he be shifted to hospital from prison.
In a letter to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, 14 former captains, including India’s Sunil Gavaskar and Kapil Dev, called for Khan to be treated with “dignity and basic human consideration,” expressing concern about reports that the vision in his right eye had worsened in detention.
“Recent reports concerning his health — particularly the alarming deterioration of his vision while in custody — and the conditions of his imprisonment over the past two and a half years have caused us profound concern,” the cricketers wrote.
There was no immediate official response from Islamabad, but authorities have said that Khan is getting better facilities at the prison, a claim endorsed by Khan’s attorney Salman Safdar, who met with him recently.
Political allies of Khan and lawmakers from his opposition Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party on Wednesday ended a dayslong sit-in outside parliament after doctors reported significant recovery in his right eye and no issues with his left.
Khan, 73, led Pakistan to the 1992 Cricket World Cup and later served as prime minister from 2018 until his ouster in 2022. He has been imprisoned since 2023 after he was convicted of graft and other offenses.
Khan, who has faced multiple trials since then, has said all the charges against him were politically motivated.
Concern about Khan’s health grew in late January after he was taken to hospital for eye treatment. Safdar, his lawyer, said last week that Khan had lost about 85 percent of the vision in his right eye.
Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi said a day earlier that such claims were “propaganda.” Other government officials, citing doctors who treated Khan, said the vision in his right eye had improved significantly, although Khan’s family and his personal physician say they can only confirm his condition once they are allowed to see him.
According to Australia’s The Age newspaper, signatories include former captains Ian Chappell, Clive Lloyd, Allan Border, Michael Brearley, David Gower, John Wright and Kim Hughes, among others who played against Khan. “Many of us competed against him, shared the field with him, or grew up idolizing his all-round brilliance, charisma and competitive spirit,” the letter said.
The group also urged Pakistan to allow “immediate, adequate and ongoing medical attention from qualified specialists of his choosing.”
Several former Pakistani cricketers, including Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar, have also expressed concern publicly after former India batter Ajay Jadeja encouraged Pakistani players to speak out.
Khan made his international debut in 1971 against England and became captain in 1982. Widely regarded as one of cricket’s finest all-rounders, he retired soon after leading Pakistan to its only World Cup title in 1992. He founded the PTI party in 1996 and rose to power in 2018.
Khan was removed from office in April 2022 through a parliamentary no-confidence vote and later jailed after court convictions. He alleges his removal resulted from a US-backed conspiracy involving political rivals and Pakistan’s military, claims denied by Washington, the military and Prime Minister Sharif, who succeeded him.
Despite his imprisonment, Khan remains a central and influential figure in Pakistan’s politics.