Vardy signs new one-year deal with Leicester

Jamie Vardy has signed a new one-year contract at Leicester, recently promoted back to the Premier League, the club announced on Friday. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 June 2024
Follow

Vardy signs new one-year deal with Leicester

  • The 37-year-old striker, who joined the Foxes in 2012, scored 20 goals in 37 appearances during their 2023/24 Championship-winning campaign
  • Vardy is third on the club’s all-time goalscoring list

LONDON: Jamie Vardy has signed a new one-year contract at Leicester, recently promoted back to the Premier League, the club announced on Friday.
The 37-year-old striker, who joined the Foxes in 2012, scored 20 goals in 37 appearances during their 2023/24 Championship-winning campaign.
Vardy, who has won the Premier League and FA Cup during his time at the King Power Stadium, is third on the club’s all-time goalscoring list, with 190 goals in 464 games.
“To get the numbers that I did (last season), I’m delighted with it, but there’s still more to come,” said the former England international.
“I look after myself. I’ve always said that age is just a number. My legs feel fine so that’s why I carry on until my legs say, ‘That’s it, game over’. There will be a day when that comes, but that’s not right now.”
Leicester are searching for a new manager after Enzo Maresca, who guided the club to the Championship title in his first season in charge, left to join Chelsea earlier this week.


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”