ISLAMABAD: The driver of a car, which ran over and killed two pro-Palestine protesters in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad this week, has been identified as an army officer and handed over to the military police, the Islamabad police said on Saturday.
The protesters have set up their camps at D-Chowk in the Pakistani capital for the past several days. On Monday, a speeding car ran over a few demonstrators, killing two of them and injuring four others.
The driver of the car had sped away from the scene, but was arrested by the police shortly afterwards.
“The driver who crushed two people to death [on Jinnah Avenue] was arrested from the scene and identified as an army officer,” Taqi Jawad, an Islamabad police spokesman, told Arab News.
“He was nominated in the FIR [police report] and later handed over to the military police for further legal action.”
While the protesters condemned the incident, they said this week it would not dampen their spirits and they would continue to urge the government to do more about Israeli military actions in Palestine.
“We feel that the State of Pakistan and the Government of Pakistan should do far more than it has been doing till now,” Humaira Masihuddin, a lawyer, told Arab News on Tuesday.
Pakistan does not recognize Israel and supports an independent Palestinian state based on pre-1967 borders, with Jerusalem as its capital. In recent months, the South Asian country has repeatedly raised the issue of Israel’s war in Gaza at the United Nations through its permanent representative.
Rabail Shahid, a student, criticized the government for failing to provide security to the protesters in Islamabad.
“This incident happened here, I cannot even imagine, and [that too] in the Red Zone, in this Red Zone, which is a highly, strictly secured area,” she said.
Motorist who killed two pro-Palestine protesters in Islamabad identified as army officer — police
https://arab.news/rgvch
Motorist who killed two pro-Palestine protesters in Islamabad identified as army officer — police
- Protesters encamped at Islamabad’s D-Chowk for several days to raise awareness about the Gaza war
- Earlier this week, a speeding car lost control and ran over several demonstrators, killing two of them
Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred
- The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
- Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction
KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.
Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.
Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.
“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.
“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”
Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.
Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.
“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.
“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.
“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”
The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.
The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.
It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.
The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.
Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.
“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.
An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”
Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.










