Pakistan PM condemns gun attack on Slovakian counterpart, offers prayers for recovery

Police work at the scene after a shooting incident in which Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico was wounded, outside the House of Culture in Handlova, Slovakia May 15, 2024. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 16 May 2024
Follow

Pakistan PM condemns gun attack on Slovakian counterpart, offers prayers for recovery

  • Prime Minister Robert Fico was shot multiple times while coming out of a government meeting on Wednesday
  • The attack was described as unprecedented in a country where no such previous incident has been reported

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday condemned the attack on Robert Fico, his Slovakian counterpart who was shot multiple times while coming out of a government meeting, saying he was praying for the leader of the central European state.
Fico was rushed to a hospital after the gun attack on Wednesday where he fought for his life in what was described by his administration as a “political assault.”
Speaking to the media after Fico’s surgery, Deputy Prime Minister Tomas Taraba said the medical procedure had gone well and the 59-year-old Slovakian leader was expected to survive the assassination attempt.
“Strongly condemn shocking attack on Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico,” the Pakistani PM said in a social media post. “Our thoughts and prayers with him and his family. Wish him quick recovery and good health.”
“We stand by government and people of Slovak Republic in these critical moments,” he added.
Fico’s party won the last general election in the European state held in September 2023.
The Slovak leader is a four-time prime minister and political veteran who has been criticized by his rivals for swaying his country’s foreign policy in Russia’s favor.
The gun attack was described as unprecedented, with analysts pointing out there had been no such previous incident reported against any minister or prime minister in Slovakia.


Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

  • Blast hits Frontier Corps checkpoint in Bajaur near Afghan border
  • Police recover bodies from rubble as rescue operation continues

ISLAMABAD: An attack on a paramilitary checkpoint in northwest Pakistan killed at least seven security personnel and a child on Monday, officials said, the latest in a series of attacks in a region bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border.

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant group has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

The latest attack struck a Frontier Corps (FC) post in the Mamond area of Bajaur district, destroying a small compound where security personnel were stationed.

“We have recovered seven dead bodies, one of them police, and two injured from the debris while search for other bodies is underway,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Niaz Mohammad told Arab News, describing the compound as “a structure comprising four to five rooms.”

Rescue teams continued operations to locate anyone trapped beneath the rubble, officials said.

Police did not comment on the nature of the attack but a statement from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister’s office described it as a suicide bombing and confirmed casualties among security personnel and a child.

“The martyrdom of security personnel and a child in the terrorist attack is extremely tragic,” the statement said, adding that emergency services had been instructed to speed up rescue efforts.

Authorities said operations against militants in the province would be intensified.

Districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, including Bajaur and Bannu, have repeatedly been targeted in bombings and assaults on security checkpoints since a fragile ceasefire between Islamabad and the TTP collapsed in late 2022. Security forces continue to conduct intelligence-based operations in the region, but patrols and outposts remain frequent targets.