Israel qualifies for Eurovision final amid protest about its participation

An Israeli delegation sits in the Green Room during the second semi-final of the 2024 Eurovision Song Contest, in Malmo, Sweden. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 10 May 2024
Follow

Israel qualifies for Eurovision final amid protest about its participation

  • Israeli PM Netanyahu wished Golan good luck and said she had “already won” by enduring the protests

MALMÖ, Sweden: Israel qualified for this weekend’s Eurovision song contest grand finale as thousands of demonstrators marched through Sweden’s Malmo on Thursday to protest its participation over the Gaza war.
Singer Eden Golan performed her song “Hurricane” in Thursday’s second semifinal without incident in front of 9,000 spectators at the Malmo Arena and booked her place in Saturday’s final after a televote.
Earlier in the day, more than 10,000 people including climate activist Greta Thunberg gathered in Malmo’s main square before marching through the southern city’s central pedestrian shopping street, according to police estimates.
“I am a Eurovision fan and it breaks my heart, but I’m boycotting,” 30-year-old protester Hilda, who did not want to provide her surname, told AFP.
“I can’t have fun knowing that Israel is there participating when all those kids are dying. I think it’s just wrong.”
Alongside signs that read: “Liberate Palestine,” banners that said “EUR legitimizes genocide” and “colonialism cannot be washed in pink” could be seen in the crowd.
About 50 protesters made it to the front of the Malmo Arena, where the event is taking place, before being dispersed by a heavy police presence. Protesters also entered the Eurovision Village, where spectators can follow the concert on large screens.
In a different neighborhood, about 100 counter-protesters gathered under police protection to express their support for Israel.
Earlier Thursday, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Thursday wished Golan good luck and said she had “already won” by enduring the protests that he called a “horrible wave of anti-Semitism.”
The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas’ unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of more than 1,170 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally of Israeli official figures.
Militants also took about 250 hostages. Israel estimates 128 of them remain in Gaza, including 36 who officials say are dead.
Israel in response vowed to crush Hamas and launched a military offensive that has killed at least 34,904 people in Gaza, mostly women and children, according to the Hamas-run territory’s health ministry.
Protests calling for an end to Israel’s punishing Gaza campaign have broken out on university campuses in North America, Europe and Australia.
In 2022, Russia’s state broadcaster was excluded from the European Broadcasting Union, which oversees Eurovision, in the wake of the war in Ukraine.
“I feel like if they can remove Russia why can they not do it to Israel?” said protester Marwo Mustafa.
“Hurricane” has already been partially re-written and given a new title after Eurovision organizers deemed the original version to be too political.
Since the beginning of the year, several petitions have demanded Israel’s exclusion from the 68th edition of the annual music competition, which opened with the first semifinal on Tuesday.
At the end of March, contestants from nine countries, including Swiss favorite Nemo, called for a lasting ceasefire.
Protester Cecilia Brudell told AFP: “At six and nine, my children are now at an age where they want to watch Eurovision but this year we are completely boycotting it.”


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. (File/AP)
Updated 57 min 23 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

  • Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT)

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.