Karachi pilgrims utilize Makkah Route Initiative for first time as Pakistan initiates Hajj flights

Pakistani Hajj pilgrims wait to check-in at an airport terminal for the first Hajj flight to Saudi Arabia, in Karachi on early May 9, 2024. This first Hajj flight marks the beginning of Makkah Route Initiative at Karachi airport. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 09 May 2024
Follow

Karachi pilgrims utilize Makkah Route Initiative for first time as Pakistan initiates Hajj flights

  • The first flight carrying 180 pilgrims took off from Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport on Thursday
  • This year, about 179,210 Pakistanis will perform pilgrimage under government and private Hajj schemes

KARACHI: Pakistan launched its Hajj flight operation on Thursday, with two private airlines departing from Karachi’s Jinnah International Airport, marking the start of a month-long special air service to transport pilgrims to Saudi Arabia under the Makkah Route Initiative.
The initiative, launched by Saudi authorities in collaboration with several Muslim-majority countries, enables pilgrims to complete the immigration process in their home country, allowing them to bypass these procedures upon arrival in the kingdom.
Pakistan joined the initiative in 2019 as part of a pilot program that started in Islamabad. Its success led to plans for the program’s expansion to other cities, with pilgrims from Karachi benefitting from it for the first time this year.
The first Airblue flight carrying 180 pilgrims departed at approximately 2:18 AM, while the second, operated by Air Sial with about 155 pilgrims onboard, left at around 2:45 AM from Karachi.
“Alhamdulillah, our first Hajj Flight PF754 departed a while ago from Karachi to Madinah which marks the commencement of our Hajj Operation 2024,” AirSial proclaimed in a social media post.

Earlier this week, a group of 44 Saudi officials arrived in Karachi to carry out immigration procedures under the Makkah Route Initiative for Hajj pilgrims.
As part of the month-long pre-Hajj operations starting this week, 11 flights will arrive in Madinah on Thursday from five major Pakistani cities, transporting about 2,160 pilgrims.
Pilgrims from Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Multan and Peshawar will be flown to Prince Mohammad Bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah, marking a significant influx of devotees.
Five airlines – Pakistan International Airlines, Saudi Airlines, Airblue, Serene Air and Air Sial – will operate 259 flights to ferry pilgrims from eight major cities in Pakistan, including Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Multan, Quetta, Sialkot and Sukkur, to Jeddah and Madinah under the government scheme.
Upon arrival, Pakistani pilgrims will be received by officials at the Pakistan Consulate General and the Hajj Mission of the Ministry of Religious Affairs.
For the first 15 days, all flights will depart from various Pakistani cities to Madinah, continuing until May 23. Thereafter, flights will switch to King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah until the completion of the pre-Hajj operation.
This year, around 179,210 Pakistanis will perform Hajj under both government and private schemes.
Hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam, requires every adult Muslim who is financially and physically able to undertake at least once in their lifetime a pilgrimage to the holy Islamic sites in Makkah and Madinah.

 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”