Professional Fighters League’s Ali Taleb looks to bounce back in Riyadh following first career loss

Ali Taleb will face Nawras Abzakh on his PFL MENA debut in Riyadh on May 10. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 03 May 2024
Follow

Professional Fighters League’s Ali Taleb looks to bounce back in Riyadh following first career loss

  • Only defeated by Khurshed Kakhorov in his 10-bout mixed-martial arts career

Things did not go quite according to plan when Ali Taleb last stepped inside the Smart Cage of the Professional Fighters League.

With a chance to advance to the bantamweight finale of the inaugural season of PFL Europe, Taleb fell short, losing via unanimous decision to eventual champion Khurshed Kakhorov.

The loss last year was the first blemish on Taleb’s 10-fight professional mixed-martial arts resume, but it also became a bit of a learning experience for the Iraqi-Swedish bantamweight.

“What I learned is not to be jittery, don’t chase the knockout all the time,” Taleb said in a recent interview on the Rondvilan Podcast.

“It was his turn, it was his time to win the million,” said Taleb.

The 26-year-old reigning UAE Warriors Bantamweight Champion added: “There’s still a lot for me to learn, honestly.”

Looking ahead, Taleb has his sights set on his PFL MENA debut in Riyadh on May 10. He will be facing a familiar opponent in Jordan’s Nawras Abzakh, whom he defeated in 2021.

“It’s the first time I’m going to rematch someone,” Taleb said. “It’s going to be good, I’m excited, man.”

Taleb will try to make history by becoming one of the first PFL MENA champions.

He said that Abzakh had asked to face him. “It’s a tournament, but he said ‘I want to fight him.’”

“He’s gonna get a taste,” Taleb continued. “Nothing can stop me now. I’m going to take his soul, and that’s that. This guy won’t stop me.”

He also revealed that he will be defending his UAE Warriors’ title.

“I’m allowed by the PFL to take a fight in UAE Warriors, so I think I’m going to defend my belt there,” Taleb said.

The PFL MENA: Riyadh tournament takes place on Friday May 10 at The Green Halls in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. All PFL MENA events will air live on MBC Action and SHAHID.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”