Hit repeatedly by floods in northwest Pakistan, 70-year-old to rebuild house for 10th time

Mian Awal Khan (right), 77, stands next to his son Mian Fawadullah, 35, amidst his belongings at a village wrecked by floods in the Charsadda district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on April 24, 2024, during an interview with Arab News as he plans to rebuild his house for the 10th time due to the repeated floods in Pakistan’s northwest. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 26 April 2024
Follow

Hit repeatedly by floods in northwest Pakistan, 70-year-old to rebuild house for 10th time

  • Mian Awal Khan lives in Charsadda district, prone to floods after heavy rains
  • 65 killed, 80 injured in heavy rains in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since Apr. 12

CHARSADDA, Pakistan: Mian Awal Khan stared at the remains of his house, destroyed by flooding in the River Khyali earlier this month, and cried quietly into his sleeve.

This is the 10th time the 70-year-old would have to rebuild his house in Charsadda, a district in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province prone to floods after heavy rains.

At least 65 people have been killed and 80 injured in downpours and subsequent flooding in KP since Apr. 12. Charsadda district is one of the worst hit, with three rivers, Jindi, Khyali and Kabul, meeting downstream at the Shahbara village.

Unfortunately for Khan, his house initially stood on the banks of the River Kyali and was first washed away by floods in 2010. He built a new house 500 meters away from that spot after the river carved out a path for itself on his land.

Flooding would destroy his house many times again.

“This will be the tenth time I will rebuild my house,” an emotional Khan told Arab News, seated on the concrete remains of his three-room house.

“My house was washed away by the floods six times when it was over there [initial spot] and four times when it was here.”

Khan’s 35-year-old son, Mian Fawadullah, said the family was unable to save any belongings on the day of the flooding.

“When we were busy rescuing our children and women, this [destruction] happened to our house,” he told Arab News. “We didn’t take any household items as our life was in danger. We left everything just as it was in its place.”

The flood had cost the family Rs1.5-1.6 million [$5,385-$5,744], Fawadullah said, and also destroyed 108,900 square feet of fields as well as washed away livestock and filled the fields with mud at a critical time for farming.

“Farming has also vanished now,” he lamented. “The wheat and the sugarcane have rotten in the water. This is a real mess. We do labor, prepare the field and the river washes it away [every single time].”

“EATEN MY YOUTH”

Flood survivors say they want the government to build protection walls and put in place preventative mechanisms in a country consistently ranked among the most affected by climate change impacts.

Unprecedented rains in 2022 triggered flash floods that killed over 1,700 people and caused damages worth $33 million.

Ihsan Dawar, a public relations officer at the KP Provincial Disaster Management Authority, said the government was carrying out relief works, particularly to rebuild around 3,500 houses partially or fully damaged in the recent floods.

“Up until this time, about Rs200 million [$718,096] have been distributed among the victims of the fresh spell of rain incidents,” Dawar told Arab News.

But Khan has little hope floods won’t wreak havoc on his life again.

“The river is not going to spare it [my house] here also,” he said, adding that it was cutting at the edges of the land like a “butcher cutting meat.”

When asked what he would do now, he broke down and cried quietly.

“This is too difficult,” he said about having to rebuild his house yet again. “It has eaten all my youth.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”