Ahead of Eid, Pakistan frees 20 convicted by military courts in May 9 riots

Police personnel detain a supporter of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party during a protest demanding the release of PTI leader Imran Khan, in Peshawar on January 28, 2024. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 April 2024
Follow

Ahead of Eid, Pakistan frees 20 convicted by military courts in May 9 riots

  • The army held custody of nearly a hundred suspects for involvement in attacks on military installations on May 9, 2023
  • Khan’s party terms trials of civilians in military courts ‘unconstitutional,’ vows to extend legal support to detainees

ISLAMABAD: At least 20 convicts, who were sentenced by military courts for violence over former prime minister Imran Khan’s arrest last year, have been released from military custody, following a remission granted by Pakistan’s army chief, General Asim Munir.

Hundreds of suspects were rounded up in the wake of violent protests in Pakistan on May 9, 2023 over Khan’s brief arrest in a graft case that saw his supporters attack government and military installations in the South Asian country.

On Monday, the Pakistani government shared details of those released with the Supreme Court of Pakistan, which has been hearing a set of intra-court appeals against its unanimous judgment nullifying military trials of civilians.

Four petitions had been filed against military trials of civilians by ex-PM Khan, former chief justice Jawwad S. Khawaja, prominent lawyer and politician Aitzaz Ahsan, and Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research Chief Executive Karamat Ali.

“We welcome the release of 20 people from the military custody,” Sayed Zulfikar Bukhari, a member of Khan’s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, told Arab News, adding the party’s legal teams were pursuing cases of those who were still in military custody.

“Trial of civilians in military courts is absolutely illegal and unconstitutional. Therefore, all the detainees in military custody must be released immediately.”

Bukhari said if anybody had committed any crime, they must be tried in civil courts.

The ones released from the military’s custody on April 6-7 included eight residents of Rawalpindi, three of Lahore, five of Gujranwala, three of Dir, and one from Mardan. The convicts remained in custody for up to 10-and-a-half months.

In December last year, the Supreme Court had allowed military courts to resume trials of civilians, conditionally allowing them to announce reserved judgments in cases relating to the May 9 violence.

The top court had directed Attorney-General Mansoor Usman Awan to submit a list of accused who could be acquitted and of those cases, in which the sentences were less than three years and could have the benefit of remission.

Following the directives, the army chief granted remission to 20 convicts. Arab News tried to reach the military’s media wing, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), and the attorney-general, but they were not immediately available for a comment.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.