Somalia parliament approves parts of election overhaul plan

Experts believe the amendments are ‘likely to ‘divide Somalia’s politics further as opposition groups rally against them.’ (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 31 March 2024
Follow

Somalia parliament approves parts of election overhaul plan

  • Last March, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud pledged to end the complex clan-based indirect voting system in place for more than half a century in the troubled Horn of Africa nation

MOGADISHU: Somalia’s parliament has unanimously approved proposals to overhaul the country’s electoral system to reintroduce universal suffrage, a plan that has been criticized by some leading politicians.

Last March, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud pledged to end the complex clan-based indirect voting system in place for more than half a century in the troubled Horn of Africa nation.

The central government and four federal states later announced an agreement that a one-person, one-vote system would be introduced in local elections set for June 2024, but the proposals still had to be approved by parliament.

On Saturday, lawmakers approved four of the 15 constitutional chapters that are due to be amended as part of the overhaul.

“The legislators from both houses unanimously endorsed the amended chapters of the constitution,” said Sheikh Adan Mohamed Nur, president of the lower chamber of parliament.

The remaining 11 chapters are to be voted on later, Mahad Wasuge, head of the Somali Public Agenda think tank, said.

“Once the 11 remaining chapters are amended by the parliament, the constitution will be voted for by the public,” he said.

When the central government announced the election overhaul plan last year, a former president and four former prime ministers were among the prominent politicians objecting because, among other reasons, not all of the country’s federal member states had participated in the talks.

Ahead of Saturday’s vote, former president Mohamed Abdullahi Farmaajo echoed the criticism.

“This Constitution, which is being implemented by an illegal process and that will not be accepted by society, will never be recognized as a legal Constitution,” he said in a statement on Friday.

It does not “represent the current political situation in the country and the pillars that were at the heart of Somali political reconciliation and power sharing,” he said.

Omar Mahmood, senior analyst for eastern Africa at the International Crisis Group, said the amendments were “likely to heighten political tensions” and “divide Somalia’s politics further as opposition groups rally” against them.

Meanwhile, the semi-autonomous Somali state of Puntland said on Sunday it would no longer recognize federal institutions after parliament backed the plan.

It was the latest move in a long-running and sometimes tense saga, with Puntland repeatedly issuing similar declarations in recent years to express its disagreement with the central government in Mogadishu.

Arid Puntland, in Somalia’s northeast, claimed autonomy in 1998, bolstered by natural resources including oil and its Bosaso port.

“The Puntland administration revoked its recognition and confidence in the federal government institutions until an outright constitutional process that is mutually accepted is obtained,” a Puntland statement said.

As a result, “Puntland will have its own comprehensive government authority until a federal government system is in place, with a mutually accepted Somali constitution that is subject to a public referendum.”

Authorities in the region opposed the adoption by parliament of the plan to reintroduce universal suffrage.

The Puntland authorities accused the president of violating the constitution and losing his legitimacy.


India forced to defend US trade deal as doubts mount

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

India forced to defend US trade deal as doubts mount

  • The deal announced this month has rattled India’s powerful farmers’ unions, who argue that cheap US imports would throttle local producers in a country where agriculture employs more than 700 million
MUMBAI: India is scrambling to defend a new trade deal with the United States that critics have branded as a surrender to Washington, as countries navigate the fallout from President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs.
The deal announced this month has rattled India’s powerful farmers’ unions, who argue that cheap US imports would throttle local producers in a country where agriculture employs more than 700 million people.
Details of the deal remain sparse, limited to a joint statement and a White House factsheet, but New Delhi says an interim pact should be finalized by the end of March.
Analysts warn that other elements of the agreement could also prove volatile.
“In the Trumpian era, there is nothing called certainty,” trade expert Abhijit Das told AFP.
Even if the deal is signed in a few weeks, it would only hold until Trump “decides to impose more tariffs for any perceived inconsistency,” he said.
The most contentious pledge is India’s stated intention to buy $500 billion worth of US goods over five years. India’s annual imports from the US last fiscal year were around $45 billion.
Doubling annual purchases to $100 billion “is unrealistic,” said Ajay Srivastava of the Global Trade Research Initiative, a New Delhi-based think tank.
- Intention not commitment -
Aircraft purchases were a major component of this commitment but even a major expansion of Boeing aircraft orders — decisions made by private airlines — would fall far short, he said.
“Even if India were to add another 200 Boeing aircraft over the next five years, at an estimated cost of $300 million per aircraft, the total value would be about $60 billion.”
Some economists argue the language around purchases is non?binding, hence it protects New Delhi if it fails to meet the goal.
“Framing the target as an intention, rather than a commitment, reduces the risk of the deal later breaking down,” Shivaan Tandon of Capital Economics said in a note on Friday.
Trump’s unpredictability also continues to loom large.
He recently threatened higher tariffs on South Korea over perceived delays by Seoul in implementing a trade agreement announced last July.
Another flashpoint is Washington’s rollback of a 25 percent duty after what it described as India’s “commitment” to stop buying Russian oil.
This promise finds no mention in the joint statement and has neither been confirmed nor denied by the Indian government.
India says its energy policy is driven by national interests and that the country depends on multiple sources for crude oil imports.
- ‘Oil plank’ -
New Delhi’s Russian oil imports have dropped from a mid?2025 peak of more than two million barrels a day to about 1.1 million in January.
Local reports say state-owned refiners have already started purchasing Venezuelan oil for delivery in April.
But it remains unclear if Russian purchases will fall to zero.
The outlook hinges heavily on Mumbai-headquartered Nayara Energy, partly owned by Russia’s Rosneft, which Bloomberg reported plans to keep buying around 400,000 barrels a day.
This will likely remain a bone of contention, given the Trump administration’s stance that it intends to monitor India’s imports.
“New Delhi continues to avoid publicly confirming a full halt and frames energy sourcing as driven by price and availability, which underlines ongoing ambiguity over the oil plank,” Darren Tay of BMI, a unit of Fitch Solutions, told AFP.
“There is tentative evidence that Indian refiners are reducing spot purchases of Russian crude, implying partial adjustment rather than a formal pledge,” Tay said.
The deal remains “too fragile and politically contested” to justify a growth forecast change for India, he added.