IDF soldiers detain and assault Al-Jazeera reporter in hospital raid 

IDF soldiers detained and physically attacked Al-Jazeera journalist Ismail Al-Ghoul during a raid on Al-Shifa hospital on Monday. (Screenshot/Al-Jazeera)
Short Url
Updated 19 March 2024
Follow

IDF soldiers detain and assault Al-Jazeera reporter in hospital raid 

  • Journalist Ismail Al-Ghoul was released by Israeli forces on Monday night after being held for nearly 12 hours

LONDON: Israel Defense Forces soldiers detained and physically attacked Al-Jazeera journalist Ismail Al-Ghoul during a raid on Al-Shifa hospital on Monday, where he was reporting on a new military operation. 

The soldiers then transported Al-Ghoul and other reporters to an unknown destination. He was released on Monday night after being held for almost 12 hours. 

Carlos Martinez de la Serna, program director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, said in a statement: “CPJ welcomes the release of Al-Jazeera journalist Ismail Al-Ghoul and some of the other journalists assaulted and detained by Israel on Monday, but we remain extremely concerned that they were blocked from covering a major military operation, denying them their press freedom rights.

“In addition, numerous other journalists remain imprisoned since the Israel-Gaza war began in October. They too should be freed, and their voices should not be silenced.”

During the raid, at least 80 people were detained, with the IDF stating that it had taken control of the hospital to “thwart terrorist activity” after receiving “concrete intelligence” that high-ranking Hamas members had gathered there.

Thousands of displaced Palestinians have taken refuge in the Al-Shifa hospital complex. Journalists have been working from the vicinity of the hospital since the beginning of the war, struggling with issues like power outages and communication disruptions.

During an interview with Al-Jazeera, Al-Ghoul described how he and other journalists were attacked by IDF soldiers, who reportedly destroyed their tent, damaged their equipment, and vandalized their press vehicles. 

Al-Ghoul said that the soldiers forced the journalists to undress in the cold weather and then held them captive in a room at Al-Shifa hospital while blindfolded and handcuffed.

While Al-Ghoul mentioned that most of the Al-Jazeera crew members were eventually released, he was unsure about the status of every team member as their mobile phones, laptops, and equipment had been destroyed by Israeli forces. 

The journalists were released following inquiries from the US State Department and calls for action by organizations like CPJ and Al-Jazeera.

CPJ did not receive a response to its email to the IDF’s North America Desk asking for comment on the reports about the beating and arrests of journalists at the hospital complex.

Since Oct. 7, CPJ has documented 95 journalists and media workers killed while covering the war, including the killing by Israeli drone strikes of Al-Jazeera’s Samer Abu Daqqa on Dec. 15, Hamza Al-Dahdouh and Mustafa Thuraya on Jan. 7, and a drone attack that seriously injured Al-Jazeera reporter Ismail Abu Omar. 


Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

  • The regulator says Grok has created and shared sexualized images of real people, including children. Researchers say some examples appear to involve minors
  • X also faces other probes in Europe over illegal content and user safety

LONDON: Elon Musk’s social media platform X faces a European Union privacy investigation after its Grok AI chatbot started spitting out nonconsensual deepfake images, Ireland’s data privacy regulator said Tuesday.
Ireland’s Data Protection Commission said it notified X on Monday that it was opening the inquiry under the 27-nation EU’s strict data privacy regulations, adding to the scrutiny X is facing in Europe and other parts of the world over Grok’s behavior.
Grok sparked a global backlash last month after it started granting requests from X users to undress people with its AI image generation and editing capabilities, including putting females in transparent bikinis or revealing clothing. Researchers said some images appeared to include children. The company later introduced some restrictions on Grok, though authorities in Europe weren’t satisfied.
The Irish watchdog said its investigation focuses on the apparent creation and posting on X of “potentially harmful” nonconsensual intimate or sexualized images containing or involving personal data from Europeans, including children.
X did not respond to a request for comment.
Grok was built by Musk’s artificial intelligence company xAI and is available through X, where its responses to user requests are publicly visible.
The watchdog said the investigation will seek to determine whether X complied with the EU data privacy rules known as GDPR, or the General Data Protection Regulation. Under the rules, the Irish regulator takes the lead on enforcing the bloc’s privacy rules because X’s European headquarters is in Dublin. Violations can result in hefty fines.
The regulator “has been engaging” with X since media reports started circulating weeks earlier about “the alleged ability of X users to prompt the @Grok account on X to generate sexualized images of real people, including children,” Deputy Commissioner Graham Doyle said in a press statement.
Spain’s government has ordered prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for alleged crimes related to the creation and proliferation of AI-generated child sex abuse material on their platforms, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said on Tuesday.
“These platforms are attacking the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters,” Sánchez wrote on X.
Spain announced earlier this month that it was pursuing a ban on access to social media platforms for under-16s.
Earlier this month, French prosecutors raided X’s Paris offices and summoned Musk for questioning. Meanwhile, the data privacy and media regulators in Britain, which has left the EU, have opened their own investigations into X.
The platform is already facing a separate EU investigation from Brussels over whether it has been complying with the bloc’s digital rulebook for protecting social media users that requires platforms to curb the spread of illegal content such as child sexual abuse material.