Al-Wahda men, Baniyas women crowned champions at Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup

Al-Wahda's men celebrate winning the Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup in Abu Dhabi. (UAEJJF)
Short Url
Updated 17 March 2024
Follow

Al-Wahda men, Baniyas women crowned champions at Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup

  • Annual Ramadan tournament held at Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi on March 15-16

ABU DHABI: Al-Wahda Club Jiu-Jitsu Academy and Baniyas Jiu-Jitsu Club were crowned champions at the Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup, held at the Etihad Arena, Abu Dhabi, from March 15-16.

The adult championship saw the country’s best male and female competitors locking horns, culminating in Al-Wahda securing the top position in the men’s division and Baniyas claiming victory in the women’s category.

In the men’s division, Al-Wahda outperformed Baniyas, the defending champions, to snatch the title that their rivals had held for the last four years. Similarly, in the women’s division, Baniyas were on top of their game and retained the title, forcing Al-Wahda to settle for second place. Meanwhile, Al-Wahda improved their position from third place last year to second place this year in the women’s division.

Additionally, Al-Ain also delivered commendable performances, securing the third position in both the men’s and women’s divisions.

Sheikh Zayed bin Khalifa bin Sultan Al-Nahyan, UAE ambassador to Qatar, crowned the winners, and was accompanied by Abdulmunem Alsayedmohammed Alhashmi, chairman of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation, president of the Asian Jiu-Jitsu Union and senior vice president of the International Jiu-Jitsu Federation; Mohammed Salem Al-Dhaheri, vice chairman of the UAEJJF; and Youssef Al-Batran, UAEJJF board member.

“This year’s Jiu-Jitsu President’s Cup featured the brightest local champions, making the competition the strongest ever,” Alhashmi said. “The enthusiastic crowd, exceptional organization and dedication of the teams also contributed to the success of the event.”

Alhashmi also congratulated the winners and expressed appreciation to the clubs for their important role in promoting jiu-jitsu and creating a competitive environment in the sport.

Obaid Meftah, chairman of Al-Wahda Sports Group Company, said: “We can’t be happier with achieving the men’s division title, which we have been waiting for over four years. Our athletes have worked hard for this moment and deservedly earned their share of the podium.

“We dedicate this great victory to His Highness Theyab bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, president of the Al-Wahda Club, our biggest supporter, and to the entire Al-Wahda family and loyal fans.”


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.