LONDON: Manchester United midfielder Mason Mount returned to training on Tuesday after four months out with a calf injury.
Mount has made just 12 appearances in all competitions for United since his £60 million ($76 million) transfer from Chelsea before the start of this season.
The 25-year-old last played when he came off the bench in United’s 1-0 win against Luton in November.
Even when he was fit to feature, Mount struggled to make an impact, leading some to brand the England international a flop.
But Mount could still have a chance to silence the critics this season after United confirmed he was back in training, having “remained upbeat and positive throughout his rehabilitation.”
The playmaker’s long-awaited return came just days after Erik ten Hag offered a promising update on his status.
“Mason Mount, I think he is in a good spell now and he will return shortly,” Ten Hag said on Friday. “I think after the international break.”
Mount is unlikely to feature in Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Liverpool, but could be involved when United travel to Brentford on March 30.
Mount’s presence will be a welcome boost to a United side looking to keep alive their faint hopes of Champions League qualification via a top four finish in the Premier League.
United are eight points behind fourth placed Aston Villa with 10 games left.
Ten Hag expects Harry Maguire, Rasmus Hojlund and Aaron Wan-Bissaka to be back from injuries for Liverpool’s visit to Old Trafford.
Lisandro Martinez, Anthony Martial, Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia remain sidelined.
Off the pitch, United announced record second-quarter revenues of £225.8 million on Tuesday.
The results for the period until December 31 showed the club’s net profit was up 6.3 percent to £20.4 million, although United’s debt remains at £509.6 million.
Following British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe’s recent purchase of a 25 percent stake, United’s overall revenue in 2024 is expected to be between £635 million and £665 million.
“We delivered strong revenues during the first half of the fiscal year and have reiterated our guidance for record revenues for the full fiscal year,” United’s chief financial officer Cliff Baty said.
“This is an exciting time at Manchester United following the completion of Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s investment, and we are all focused on working together with our new co-owners to drive the club forward and deliver success on the pitch.”
Man Utd’s Mount back in training after four-month injury absence
https://arab.news/mykz6
Man Utd’s Mount back in training after four-month injury absence
- Mount has made just 12 appearances in all competitions for United since his $76 million transfer from Chelsea
- The 25-year-old last played when he came off the bench in United’s 1-0 win against Luton in November
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”










