We have removed controversial statue, and Hilal will be a tough opponent: Sepahan CEO

Sepahan have removed all political statues from their stadium ahead of their AFc Champions League clash with Al-Hilal. (Arriyadiyah)
Short Url
Updated 11 February 2024
Follow

We have removed controversial statue, and Hilal will be a tough opponent: Sepahan CEO

  • Manouchehr Nikfar, chief of the Iranian club, confirms there will be no provocative messages during the AFC Champions League clash on Thursday

The CEO of Sepahan has confirmed that the Iranian club has removed a statue of the late political figure Qassem Soleimani located in the Nagsh-e Jahan Stadium ahead of the match against Saudi’s Al-Hilal in the first leg of the AFC Champions League Round of 16, Arriyadiyah has reported.

The statue, and other politically charged banners, had caused the group stage match between Sepahan and another Saudi club, Al-Ittihad, to be abandoned on Oct. 2. The Jeddah club were eventually awarded a default 3-0 win.

Manouchehr Nikfar, speaking exclusively to the Arabic language sports daily, said: “The crisis regarding the stadium has been resolved. What the AFC requested was implemented, to remove the statue that caused the crisis, and in fact we were granted permission to officially hold the match at Nagsh-e Jahan.”

Nikfar highlighted the size of the task facing Sepahan.

“The anticipated confrontation will be very difficult,” he said. “We will face one of the greatest clubs in Asia, and we know very well its strength. Even in the absence of Neymar, they have not been affected at all. But we also have a good team, and we aspire to go as far as possible in the tournament, driven by our great ambition.”

The second leg of the tie between Al-Hilal and Sepahan will be played on Feb. 22 at Prince Faisal bin Fahd City Stadium in Riyadh, according to the AFC website.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”