Desperate for news, Gazans struggle with mobile network

A displaced Palestinian woman tries to get internet service on her phone through the Egyptian networks to communicate with her relatives, near the border with Egypt, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip February 1, 2024. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 03 February 2024
Follow

Desperate for news, Gazans struggle with mobile network

  • Gaza’s phone network, run by the local provider Paltel, has reported more than 10 total collapses in service provision since Oct. 7

GAZA STRIP: Hamzeh Tabash walks to the Egyptian border every day from his tent in Gaza for a faltering mobile signal so he can send voice messages to loved ones separated by war and hopefully receive one in return.
“One message revives the soul,” he says.
Most of bombed-out Gaza’s 2.3 million people have fled their homes under Israel’s intense bombardment and ground assault, scattered into tent cities where their only news of those they care about most depends on a broken phone network.
With the local telecom network almost entirely out of operation, especially in the north and center of the Palestinian enclave, many people try to connect to the Egyptian network by standing along the border.
“Mother, how are you? I hope you’re well. Things are fine here. I wanted to reassure you. Don’t worry,” Tabash said, recording a short voice note and holding his phone into the air to try to transmit it.
The family are from Khan Younis but they split when Israel began to focus its offensive on the city, the biggest in the enclave, with Tabash heading for Rafah and his mother staying at the family home.
Fighting and destruction in Khan Younis has been intense in recent days and those with family still there are terrified for their safety.
Where Tabash stood on a high point by the first barbed wire border fence with Egypt, a cluster of other people were sitting on the sand tapping in messages, pacing in circles as they talked or holding their phones into the air trying for a signal.
Gaza’s phone network, run by the local provider Paltel, has reported more than 10 total collapses in service provision since Oct. 7.
Sitting by border fence, anxiety written across her face, Mariam Odeh said she too had been separated from parts of her family who stayed in Khan Younis.
“We want to communicate with our relatives, reassure them and tell them we are still alive. Every day we come to the Egyptian border to call our relatives because when they call there is no service, even in Rafah. When they call us they can’t connect,” she said.

 


About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

About 50,000 worshippers perform Taraweeh prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

  • Palestinians are observing Ramadan amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank
  • Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa Mosque during the fasting month

LONDON: Nearly 50,000 worshippers performed the Isha and Ramadan Taraweeh prayers on Sunday evening at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in the walled city of occupied East Jerusalem.

Thousands of Palestinians gathered at Al-Aqsa despite facing Israeli military checkpoints and strict identity checks at the mosque’s gates, according to the Jerusalem Governorate.

Palestinians are observing the fasting month of Ramadan, which began last Wednesday, amid heightened tensions in the occupied West Bank, including attacks by settlers, and Israeli raids and arrests.

Over 300 Jerusalemites have recently received Israeli orders prohibiting their entry to Al-Aqsa during Ramadan, the Wafa news agency reported.

Israeli forces have increased their military presence in Jerusalem and restricted access to Al-Aqsa to children under 12, men over 55, and women over 50.

Since Wednesday, thousands of Palestinians have lined up to pass through military checkpoints, including Qalandiya and Bethlehem, in hopes of attending prayers at Al-Aqsa Mosque during Ramadan.