ICC prosecutor believes army, RSF committing war crimes in Darfur

ICC prosecutor Karim Khan launched an investigation in July last year into the surge of hostilities in Sudan’s Darfur region. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 29 January 2024
Follow

ICC prosecutor believes army, RSF committing war crimes in Darfur

NEW YORK: The International Criminal Court’s chief prosecutor told the UN Security Council on Monday “there are grounds to believe” both Sudan’s regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, or RSF, are committing war crimes in Darfur at present.

War erupted in Sudan on April 15, 2023 between the Sudanese armed forces and the RSF. 

ICC prosecutor Karim Khan launched an investigation in July last year into the surge of hostilities in Sudan’s Darfur region.

The ICC’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute, gives the court jurisdiction over four major crimes — genocide, crimes against humanity, the crime of aggression and war crimes — that are grave breaches of the Geneva conventions. 

The conventions set the internationally accepted rules of armed conflict.

“It’s my clear finding, my clear assessment, that there are grounds to believe that presently Rome Statute crimes are being committed in Darfur by both the Sudanese armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces and affiliated groups,” Khan said.

“The alleged atrocities that have taken place in El-Geneina form a central line of investigations that my office is pursuing at this current moment,” he told the 15-member Council. 

“We are collecting a very significant body of material, information, and evidence that is relevant to those particular crimes.”

Reuters last year chronicled ethnically targeted violence committed in West Darfur. In hundreds of interviews with Reuters, survivors described horrific scenes of bloodletting in El-Geneina and along the 30-km route from the city to the border with Chad as people fled.

Between 10,000 and 15,000 people were killed in El-Geneina last year in ethnic violence by the RSF and allied Arab militia, according to a UN report seen by Reuters earlier this month.

In December, the US formally determined that warring parties in Sudan committed war crimes and that the RSF and allied militias had also perpetrated crimes against humanity as well as ethnic cleansing.

The war has left nearly half of Sudan’s 49 million people needing aid, while more than 7.5 million people have fled their homes.


Lebanon says two killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

Updated 12 min 10 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says two killed in Israeli strike on Palestinian refugee camp

  • NNA said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp
  • It reported that one person was killed and an unspecified number wounded

SIDON: Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country’s largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel’s army saying it had targeted the Palestinian militant group Hamas.
The official National News Agency said “an Israeli drone” targeted a neighborhood of the Ain Al-Helweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon.
Lebanon’s health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded.
An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene.
The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces “struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated,” calling activity there “a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon” and a threat to Israel.
The Israeli military “is operating against the entrenchment” of the Palestinian militant group in Lebanon and will “continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate,” it added.
Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with the militant group Hezbollah.
Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah’s Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain Al-Helweh last November that killed 13 people.
The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon.
In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese militant group.
On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country’s east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad.