UN: 40% drop in Suez traffic following Houthi attacks

An army zodiac secures the entrance of the new section of the Suez Canal in Ismailia, Egypt, on Aug. 6, 2015. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 26 January 2024
Follow

UN: 40% drop in Suez traffic following Houthi attacks

UNITED NATIONS: The volume of commercial traffic passing through the Suez Canal has fallen more than 40 percent in the last two months after attacks by Yemen’s Houthi rebels, according to the United Nations, raising concerns for global trade.

The Iran-backed Houthis say they are targeting what they consider Israeli-linked commercial and military shipping in the region in solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza, pushing some cargo carriers to take longer and more expensive routes to avoid attack.

“We are very concerned that the attacks on Red Sea shipping are adding tensions to global trade, exacerbating (existing) trade disruptions due to geopolitics and climate change,” UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) head Jan Hoffman told reporters Thursday.

 

According to the UNCTAD, ships diverting from the Red Sea — sailing instead around South Africa’s Cape of Good Hope — has led to a 42 percent drop in transit through the Suez Canal in the last two months.

The Suez Canal, in Egypt, connects the Mediterranean Sea with the Red Sea. More than 80 percent of the volume of international goods trade is done via sea, Hoffman said.

“Maritime transport is really the lifeline of global trade,” he said.

The number of weekly container ship transits through the Suez has fallen by 67 percent year-on-year, according to the UNCTAD, as more than 20 percent of the world’s container trade goes through the Suez Canal.

“Given that it’s above all the larger container ships that divert from the Suez Canal, the decline in container carrying capacity is even bigger,” Hoffman said.

Tanker traffic has dropped 18 percent, the transit of bulk cargo ships carrying grain and coal is down six percent and gas transport is at a standstill.

Overall, between 12 and 15 percent of world trade — 20,000 ships per year — passes through the Red Sea, providing a link between Europe and Asia.

The situation is made even more dire as other global maritime trade routes also face disruption, with transit through the Black Sea severely restricted since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine two years ago, sending global food prices soaring.

A drought in Central America has led to a drop in water levels in the Panama Canal, significantly reducing the amount of traffic able to cross the essential route.

“Prolonged disruptions in major trade routes would disrupt global supply chains, leading to delayed deliveries of goods, increased costs and potential inflation,” the UNCTAD warned.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.