Tempers flare in the heat at Africa Cup as Morocco and Congo draw 1-1

DR Congo’s forward #19 Fiston Mayele (L) fights for the ball with Morocco’s defender #5 Nayef Aguerd during the Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) 2024 group F football match between Morocco and DR Congo at Stade Laurent Pokou in San Pedro on January 21, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 21 January 2024
Follow

Tempers flare in the heat at Africa Cup as Morocco and Congo draw 1-1

  • Morocco missed its chance to secure a spot in the knockout stage with a game to spare.

ABIDJAN: A melee broke out between Morocco and Congo players and coaching staff at the end of their 1-1 draw at the Africa Cup of Nations on Sunday.
It started after the game when Morocco coach Walid Regragui approached Congo captain Chancel Mbemba, who had already received a yellow card for arguing with the referee. Mbemba clearly disagreed with what Regragui said and made signs for the video referee as players from both teams rushed in and officials struggled to control the situation as pushing and shoving ensued.
“It’s the heat. It’s a big match between two big nations,” Congo coach Sébastien Desabre said. “It’s very hot. Very, very, very hot.”
The temperature in San Pedro was 32 degrees C (90 F) when the game started.
Morocco missed the chance to secure a spot in the knockout stage with a game to spare as Congo forward Silas Katompa Mvumpa canceled Achraf Hakimi’s early goal for the “Atlas Lions.”
Hakimi scored from Hakim Ziyech’s corner in the sixth minute, but Silas equalized in the 76th for Congo’s second successive draw in the tournament.
Morocco leads Group F with four points from two games after its opening 3-0 win over Tanzania, followed by Congo on two points. Zambia played Tanzania later Sunday in the other Group F match.
The game’s first cooling break was needed. It also allowed tempers to cool – albeit only briefly – after a series of robust challenges.
There was another break for treatment to Congo defender Henock Inonga Baka, who had to have his head bandaged to stem a heavy blood flow after he jumped for a set piece and received a blow.
When he returned, the referee awarded Congo a penalty after checking video replays for a possible hand ball by Selim Amallah. He also booked the Morocco defender.
But Cédric Bakambu hit the post with the penalty. It was just one example of the “Leopards” lacking accuracy in front of goal as they otherwise finished the half strongly.
Congo’s Inonga Baka went off at the break for Dylan Batubinsika, who almost had an immediate impact with an effort that went just wide of the post.
Congo kept pushing, however, and finally scored when Meschack Elia cut the ball back for Silas to fire in the equalizer.
“There was room at the end for us to get all three points,” the Stuttgart forward said.
Tanzania has a new coach after suspending Adel Amrouche after he was banned for eight matches for pre-tournament comments he made about Morocco’s alleged influence on the African soccer confederation (CAF).
South Africa played neighboring Namibia later Sunday as it looks for its first points in Group E.


Argentina football exec barred from leaving country in tax probe

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Argentina football exec barred from leaving country in tax probe

  • Claudio “Chiqui” Tapia was summoned to appear in court on March 5
  • Other AFA executives were also slapped with a travel ban

BUENOS AIRES: A court has barred the president of the Argentine Football Association (AFA) from leaving the country and summoned him to testify in a tax evasion case, according to the ruling cited by media Thursday.
Claudio “Chiqui” Tapia was summoned to appear in court on March 5 over a complaint filed by Argentina’s ARCA tax collection agency over alleged tax evasion and misappropriation of social security funds.
Other AFA executives were also slapped with a travel ban “in light of the seriousness of the events under investigation,” according to the summons.
Authorities are investigating whether the AFA illegally withheld pension contributions for players and employees and failed to pay taxes due between March 2024 and September 2025.
In December, police raided the association’s headquarters in Buenos Aires just months before the world champions defend their title at the FIFA World Cup 2026.
The AFA insists it is the victim of a smear campaign amid a dispute with a businessman over the organization of friendly matches for the Argentine national soccer team.
The association claims the businessman is at the root of the complaints against it, with the knowledge of the government of President Javier Milei.
Milei favors turning football clubs, which are non-profit associations, into publicly traded sports companies.
AFA rules do not allow this.