Arsenal thrash Crystal Palace to ease back to winning ways

Arsenal’s Declan Rice speaks with Crystal Palace’s Dean Henderson after Gabriel scored their second goal during their Premier League match at Emirates Stadium on Jan. 20, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 20 January 2024
Follow

Arsenal thrash Crystal Palace to ease back to winning ways

  • Centre-back Gabriel did most of the damage before half-time
  • Victory moves Mikel Arteta's men level with Manchester City and Aston Villa, two points behind leaders Liverpool

LONDON: Arsenal breathed new life into their Premier League title challenge as a 5-0 win over Crystal Palace got the Gunners back to winning ways.
Centre-back Gabriel did most of the damage before half-time as he headed in the opener then forced Palace goalkeeper Dean Henderson into an own goal.
Leandro Trossard made it 3-0 on the hour mark before substitute Gabriel Martinelli struck twice in stoppage time.
Victory moves Mikel Arteta's men level with Manchester City and Aston Villa, two points behind leaders Liverpool.
Arsenal had won just once in seven games prior to a two-week winter break.
However, a warm weather training camp in Dubai looked to have refreshed last season's runners-up, even if they did have very obliging visitors in struggling Palace.
The Eagles have won just once in 12 games to leave them still perilously poised above the relegation zone and pile the pressure on 76-year-old boss Roy Hodgson.
Arsenal's lack of a natural goalscorer up front has been scrutinised during their downturn in form and the fact it was one of his defenders that ended a barren run in front of goal will remain a concern for Arteta.
No side has scored more goals from set pieces in the Premier League this season than Arsenal and it was two corners that undid Palace before half-time.
Gabriel outmuscled Chris Richards to rise highest to meet Declan Rice's delivery with a downward header to settle the home side's nerves just 11 minutes in.
Palace were largely restricted to pot shots from long range as Jefferson Lerma tested David Raya after the goalkeeper's poor clearance gifted possession to the Colombian.
But they did not learn their lesson as Gabriel again got ahead of Richards to meet Bukayo Saka's corner and the ball rebounded in off the unfortunate Henderson.
Hodgson was booed by his own fans after substituting Eberechi Eze during Wednesday's 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Everton to keep the England international fresh for the trip to the Emirates.
The closest Eze came to making an impact was another long-range effort that Raya was forced to turn behind.
But to compound Palace's set-piece shambles, they then conceded from one of their own.
Raya collected a cross into the box and quickly set Gabriel Jesus galloping free on the counter-attack.
The Brazilian crossed for Trossard, who kept his cool to cut inside Nathanial Clyne and smash home his seventh goal of the season.
Defeat leaves Palace still five points above the relegation zone.
And a banner unfurled in the away end in the closing stages will do little to help Hodgson's case to remain until the end of the season.
"Wasted potential on and off the pitch, weak decisions taking us backwards," was the message from the Palace fans aimed at co-owner and chairman Steve Parish.
Martinelli rubbed salt in the wounds by coming off the bench to score twice in stoppage time.
The Brazilian had been dropped after scoring just two goals in the Premier League all season.
But he doubled that tally in a matter of seconds as he twice coolly slotted past Henderson into the far corner.


Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

  • Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
  • Neymar ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.
But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I’ll want to ‌retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.