Bangladesh records lowest Hajj registration turnout as inflation bites

Muslim pilgrims from Bangladesh arrive at King Abdul Aziz International Airport in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, ahead of the Hajj pilgrimage in Makkah. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 January 2024
Follow

Bangladesh records lowest Hajj registration turnout as inflation bites

  • Bangladesh’s Hajj quota this year is 127,000
  • Fewer than 47,800 pilgrims have registered so far

DHAKA: Bangladesh is observing its lowest registration turnout for Hajj, as despite government efforts to reduce the price of packages, most people cannot afford the journey this year.

Only 47,773 prospective pilgrims have registered against the quota of 127,000 granted to Bangladesh by Saudi Arabia for the 2024 Hajj season.

This year, Hajj is expected to start on June 14 and end on June 19. Registration in Bangladesh ended on Jan. 18 — after the first deadline was extended twice following poor response from prospective pilgrims.

“We tried to inform everyone about the Hajj registration deadline. We disseminated information through television, newspapers, SMS, etc.,” Mohammed Matiul Islam, additional secretary at the Ministry of Religious Affairs, told Arab News.

“Our Hajj quota was unfulfilled in the previous year also. But the situation was not like this year. This time, there is a very low number of the people registered.”

He said the government had yet to decide what it would do about the remaining slots.

One of the most populous Muslim-majority countries, Bangladesh struggled to meet the Hajj quota granted by Saudi Arabia in 2023 amid skyrocketing prices of travel.

Several thousand prospective pilgrims could not go to perform the spiritual journey that is one of the five pillars of Islam.

To prevent the same scenario during the 2024 pilgrimage season, the Bangladeshi government reduced by $1,000 the cost of Hajj packages.

The minimum government rate of Hajj from Bangladesh this year is $5,034 — a significant decrease compared with the minimum of $6,000 in 2023.

While last year Hajj tour operators indicated the main problems as high inflation and airfares to the Middle East, currently there are more factors at play, including concerns over political stability as Bangladesh’s recent general election was boycotted by the opposition and turned into one of the country’s most controversial polls.

“It’s the election year, and considering the political situation, I think many people opted to wait. Secondly, a huge number of people from Bangladesh are now performing Umrah,” said Shahadat Hossain Taslim, president of the Hajj Agencies Association of Bangladesh.

“Earlier, people used to perform Umrah (over a period of) three months, but now it is 10 months of the year and all the flights from Bangladesh to the Kingdom are fully loaded with Umrah passengers.”

Persistent inflation remains a main reason too, as although the package price has been reduced, the difference is not felt due to the devaluation of the Bangladeshi taka against the US dollar.

“It still seems very high for the pilgrims as the taka has been devaluated severely in the last year. We reduced the possible maximum amount to ease the burden of the pilgrims,” Taslim said.

“I think that due to the ongoing global recession, Hajj quotas will not be reached by many countries this year.”


After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

  • Morales was Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile
  • He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country

LA PAZ: Bolivia’s long-serving socialist former leader, Evo Morales, reappeared Thursday in his political stronghold of the tropics after almost seven weeks of unexplained absence, endorsing candidates for upcoming regional elections and quieting rumors he had fled the country in the wake of the US seizure of his ally, Venezuela’s ex-President Nicolás Maduro.
The weeks of hand-wringing over Morales’ fate showed how little the Andean country knows about what’s happening in the remote Chapare region, where the former president has spent the past year evading an arrest warrant on human trafficking charges, and how vulnerable it is to fears about US President Donald Trump’s potential future foreign escapades.
The media outlet of Morales’ coca-growing union, Radio Kawsachun Coca, released footage of Morales smiling in dark sunglasses as he arrived via tractor at a stadium in the central Bolivian town of Chimoré to address his supporters.
Morales, Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile, explained that he had come down with chikungunya, a mosquito-borne ailment with no treatment that causes fever and severe joint pain, and suffered complications that “caught me by surprise.”
“Take care of yourselves against chikungunya — it is serious,” the 66-year-old Morales said, appearing markedly more frail than in past appearances.
He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country, vowing to remain in Bolivia despite the threat of arrest under conservative President Rodrigo Paz, whose election last October ended nearly two decades of rule by Morales’ Movement Toward Socialism party.
“Some media said, ‘Evo is going to leave, Evo is going to flee.’ I said clearly: I am not going to leave. I will stay with the people to defend the homeland,” he said.
Paz’s revival of diplomatic ties with the US and recent efforts to bring back the Drug Enforcement Administration — some 17 years after Morales expelled American anti-drug agents from the Andean country while cozying up to China, Russia, Cuba and Iran — have rattled the coca-growing region that serves as Morales’ bastion of support.
Paz on Thursday confirmed that he would meet Trump in Miami on March 7 for a summit convening politically aligned Latin American leaders as the Trump administration seeks to counter Chinese influence and assert US dominance in the region.
Before proclaiming the candidates he would endorse in Bolivia’s municipal and regional elections next month, Morales launched into a lengthy speech reminiscent of his once-frequent diatribes against US imperialism.
“This is geopolitical propaganda on an international scale,” he said of Trump’s bid to revive the Monroe Doctrine from 1823 in order to reassert American dominance in the Western Hemisphere. “They want to eliminate every left-wing party in Latin America.”