Ten family members killed in Pakistan attack

Policemen cordon off a street in Peshawar, Pakistan, on March 4, 2022. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 10 January 2024
Follow

Ten family members killed in Pakistan attack

  • Two brothers, their wives and six children under 12 years killed in northwestern Lakki Marwat 
  • Inter-family feuds are common in Pakistan but in northwestern province, they can be violent 

PESHAWAR: Ten members of the same family, including a two-year-old, were killed in a brutal late-night attack in Pakistan’s northwest, police said Wednesday.

Two brothers, their wives and six children aged 12 and under were killed along with a guest in the Lakki Marwat district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Tuesday night.

“The initial investigation does not suggest any connection to terrorism,” district police chief Tariq Habib told AFP.

Inter-family feuds are common in Pakistan, but in the northwestern region — where communities abide by traditional honor codes — they can be particularly violent, lasting for generations.

“We cannot dismiss the possibility of a personal vendetta as we further investigate the incident,” police official Mamoor Shah told AFP.

“They were killed with a sharp-edged weapon and some had bullet injuries,” he said.

The incident was reported to police by neighbors of the family.

In March last year in the same province, 11 people including a prominent local politician were killed in an ambush blamed on a decades-long vendetta between families.

Sixteen people were also killed within a matter of minutes in the province last May when two tribes clashed over a decades-long land dispute.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”