Arab League backs Somalia in rejecting Ethiopia-Somaliland deal

Somali people march against the Ethiopia-Somaliland port deal at the Yarisow stadium in Mogadishu, Somalia January 3, 2024. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 04 January 2024
Follow

Arab League backs Somalia in rejecting Ethiopia-Somaliland deal

  • Ethiopia signed agreement granting naval and commercial access to ports along Somaliland’s coast
  • Deal came in exchange for recognition of breakaway region’s independence

CAIRO: The League of Arab States and the Arab Parliament have voiced support for the Somali government in condemning a controversial deal between Ethiopia and Somaliland.

Ethiopia this week signed an agreement granting it naval and commercial access to ports along Somaliland’s coast in exchange for recognition of the breakaway region’s independence.

The Arab League said that the memorandum of understanding violated Somalia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Somalia vowed on Tuesday to defend its territory by any legal means and recalled its ambassador to Ethiopia after Addis Ababa agreed the deal with Somaliland.

The agreement, signed by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and Somaliland leader Muse Bihi Abdi, will give Ethiopia access to the Red Sea port of Berbera.

Jamal Rushdi, spokesman for the secretary-general of the Arab League, condemned any deal that violates the sovereignty of the Somali state or attempts to take advantage of Somalia’s fragile internal situation.

He said that the Arab League supports the decision of the Somali Cabinet, which rejected the memorandum of understanding signed on Jan. 1, between Ethiopia and Somaliland as “null and void and unacceptable.”

Rushdi said the deal violates Somalia’s sovereignty, territorial integrity, and international law.

The Arab League also warned that the agreement could increase the spread of extremist ideas at a time when the Somali state was making considerable efforts to confront the issue.

Meanwhile, the Arab Parliament called on Ethiopia to “adhere to the rules and principles of good neighborliness, respect for countries’ sovereignty, and not interfere in their internal affairs to achieve regional security and stability.”

The Arab Parliament voiced its support for Somalia in any legal action to maintain its stability and national sovereignty.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.