UAE troops in India for first joint drill for ground forces

UAE and Indian troops start their first army-to-army drill in Mahajan, Rajasthan, on Jan. 2, 2024. (Indian Ministry of Defence)
Short Url
Updated 03 January 2024
Follow

UAE troops in India for first joint drill for ground forces

  • Exercise aims to enhance interoperability during peacekeeping missions, Indian Ministry of Defence says
  • Emirati contingent comprises 45 soldiers from the Zayed First Brigade

NEW DELHI: Dozens of UAE Army personnel arrived in India this week for the Desert Cyclone military exercise, the first joint drill between the Emirati and Indian land forces.

The UAE contingent comprises 45 soldiers from the Zayed First Brigade, while the 45 Indian Army troops participating in the drill are represented mainly by a battalion from the Mechanised Infantry Regiment, the Indian Ministry of Defence said in a statement as the exercise commenced on Tuesday.

The two-week drill, which the ministry said aims to “enhance cooperation and interoperability between both the sides during peacekeeping operations,” is taking place in Mahajan in the northern state of Rajasthan and will conclude on Jan. 15.

Exercises between the armed forces of the two countries have been increasingly frequent since the two countries signed a comprehensive strategic partnership in 2017.

So far, however, they have involved only their navies and air forces, India’s Ambassador to the UAE Sunjay Sudhir told Arab News on Wednesday.

“Desert Cyclone, which started yesterday, is the first army-to-army bilateral exercise,” he said, adding that the previous drills and the ongoing one were a “sign of the growing and diversified strategic partnership between India and the UAE.”

The UAE has been emerging as India’s key partner in the Gulf region, both in terms of defense and lately also trade, since the signing of a comprehensive economic partnership agreement in 2022.

“In the backdrop of close economic and trade relations, the two countries developing closer relations in defense and strategic arena is becoming a template for other Gulf partners. India and UAE are already cooperating in countering terrorism and other cross-border crimes,” Ranjit Kumar, defense analyst based in Delhi, told Arab News.

“The strengthening of cooperation and high-level exchanges among the armed forces indicate that the two countries are coming closer on the strategic arena.”


Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

MEXICO CITY: The navies of El Salvador and Mexico announced drug seizures in the Pacific Ocean this week of more than 10 tons of cocaine, in contrast to deadly strikes by the US government that just this week left 11 people dead on three boats suspected of carrying drugs in Latin American waters.
The latest announcement came Thursday, when Mexico said it had seized nearly four tons of suspected drugs and detained three people from a semisubmersible craft, 250 nautical miles (463 kilometers) south of the port of Manzanillo.
Mexican Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch said via X that the seizure from the sleek, low-riding boat with three visible motors brought the weekly total to nearly 10 tons, but he did not provide detail on the other seizures.
Mexican authorities said the seizure was made with intelligence shared US Northern Command and the US Joint Interagency Task Force South.
On Sunday, El Salvador’s navy announced the largest drug seizure in the country’s history of 6.6 tons of cocaine. The navy had intercepted a 180-foot boat registered to Tanzania, 380 miles (611 kilometers) southwest of the coast. Navy divers found 330 packages of cocaine hidden in the boat’s ballast tanks. Ten men were arrested from Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama and Ecuador.
On Thursday, Salvadoran authorities gave access to the seized ship FMS Eagle, which had just arrived in the port of La Union. More than 200 wrapped bundles were lined up on the deck.
The Trump administration has pressured Mexico to make more drug seizures over the past year. The trafficking of drugs like fentanyl was the president’s justification for tariffs on Mexican imports.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has responded with a more aggressive stance toward drug cartels than her predecessor, that has included sending dozens of drug trafficking prisoners to the United States for prosecution.
Sheinbaum has also expressed her disagreement with strikes by the US military in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean against boats suspected of carrying drugs.
At least 145 people have been killed in those strikes since the US government began targeting those it calls “narcoterrorists” last September.
The US strikes this week included two vessels carrying four people each in the eastern Pacific Ocean and another boat in the Caribbean carrying three people. The administration provided images of the boats being destroyed, but not evidence they were carrying drugs.