Loeb sets his sights on landmark Dakar victory in Saudi

Sébastien Loeb (right) and Fabian Lurquin of Bahrain Raid Xtreme during the Private test of the Rallye du Maroc 2023. (Julien Delfosse/DPPI)
Short Url
Updated 02 January 2024
Follow

Loeb sets his sights on landmark Dakar victory in Saudi

  • Bahrain Raid Xtreme star is looking to build on a record-breaking run in motorsport’s biggest adventure

DUBAI: Sebastien Loeb has set his sights on a landmark victory for Bahrain Raid Xtreme in the Dakar Rally in Saudi Arabia as he looks to build on the team’s record-breaking achievement in last year’s event.

Partnered by Fabian Lurquin in the Prodrive Hunter, Loeb takes BRX into the team’s fourth Dakar, which starts with Friday’s 28-km prologue in AlUla, and is determined to better their second-place finishes from the past two editions of motorsport’s biggest adventure.

The BRX crew produced a stunning performance in the BRX Prodrive Hunter at 2023 Dakar, taking 50 percent of the stage victories and a record-breaking six stage wins in succession.

“We’ve had some good results together with Prodrive, but for me, the Dakar is my target,” said Loeb. “To make the best over the big stages, Fabian and I will work hand in hand to have the speed, the correct navigation and avoid mechanical problems.

“However, the Dakar always has some ‘hidden things’ at any time, so we’ll piece these together over the huge adventure that this rally always is. I’m looking forward to it.”

With nine World Rally Championship crowns and an impressive set of accolades under his belt from Le Mans and X Games to Touring Cars, Loeb is as motivated as ever as he looks to steer BRX to a first Dakar triumph.

Opening the 2024 World Rally-Raid Championship, the fifth Dakar Rally to be staged in Saudi Arabia is set to provide another grueling test of endurance and technical engineering for the teams.

Over two weeks, a route of nearly 8,000 km includes 12 stages as the rally traverses the Kingdom from northwest to southeast and back again for the finish at Yanbu on the coast of the Red Sea.

The organizers have laid out a taxing route over the tracks in the north of the Empty Quarter, where dunes cover an area the size of France.

This time, the event includes an extra-long “48-hour Chrono” stage at the mid-point, with 600 km to be covered over two days in pure dunes, with service allowed only by the drivers and crew from the BRX race trucks at the overnight bivouac.

Looking ahead to the start, David Richards, founder and chairman of Prodrive, said: “If I turn the clock back and think to when we started this program with Bahrain and remember how much work has gone into our Rally Raid program, I have to say I’m very proud of what we have achieved.” 

The BRX Prodrive Hunter will arrive at the start of its fourth Dakar with further developments and utilizing sustainable fuel to power through the stages in Saudi.

With no major changes made to the set-up of the engine to accommodate the biofuel created from agricultural waste, the car will again emit 80 percent less CO2 from the 3.5-liter V6 twin-turbo engine during the rally.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”