CNN journalist defies Israeli entry ban to report on ‘absolute horror’ in Gaza

CNN's Clarissa Ward is shown in this screen grab from a video shared on X by the network's chief international anchor Christiane Amanpour. (X: @amanpour)
Short Url
Updated 15 December 2023
Follow

CNN journalist defies Israeli entry ban to report on ‘absolute horror’ in Gaza

  • Clarissa Ward: ‘I can honestly say I don’t think we’ve ever seen it quite on this scale’
  • She is the first Western journalist to enter besieged enclave without IDF supervision

LONDON: CNN chief international correspondent Clarissa Ward has become the first Western journalist to enter the Gaza Strip without supervision from the Israel Defense Forces, providing a firsthand account of what she described as “absolute horror.”
She crossed the border on Wednesday with UAE medical volunteers to visit a field hospital, in defiance of an Israeli ban on foreign journalists independently entering the besieged enclave. Israel has allowed some journalists to enter under IDF supervision.
During a TV appearance on CNN, Ward shared insights into the brief but impactful hours spent on the ground.
“Even in that brief window, you really got a sense of the absolute horrors that have been taking place in Gaza,” she said. 

Reflecting on the extent of the damage witnessed, she added: “I can honestly say I don’t think we’ve ever seen it quite on this scale.”
Due to the access ban, international reporters have had to rely on updates from Palestinian journalists, aid and health workers, and social media, despite intermittent communication cut-offs by the Israeli military.
At least 63 journalists have been killed since the start of the Gaza conflict on Oct. 7, most of them victims of Israeli military action.
In the initial stages of the conflict, Ward faced accusations of fabricating a video that depicted her seeking shelter from bombs during live coverage near the Israel-Gaza border. CNN vehemently refuted these claims, asserting the authenticity of the video.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.