Pakistan receives ‘slow response’ for Hajj applications under government scheme amid inflation 

A Pakistani Hajj pilgrim arrives at The Hajj Complex in Islamabad, Pakistan, on August 23, 2016. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 December 2023
Follow

Pakistan receives ‘slow response’ for Hajj applications under government scheme amid inflation 

  • Pakistan received only 13,000 applications for Hajj 2024 for government scheme in 10 days against quota of 89,605 pilgrims 
  • Religion ministry official says government may extend date for Hajj applications to encourage ‘positive response’ from people 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s government has received only 13,000 applications for the Hajj 2024 pilgrimage in 10 days against a quota of 89,605 pilgrims, an official confirmed on Wednesday, citing inflation as one of the reasons for the applicants’ “slow response.” 

 Hajj is an annual Islamic pilgrimage that has been in practice for over 1,400 years. It is one of the five pillars of Islam, and requires every adult Muslim to undertake a journey to the holy Islamic sites in Makkah at least once in their lifetime (if they are financially and physically able). 

Pakistan’s Ministry of Religious Affairs invited Hajj 2024 applications under the government’s scheme from Nov. 27 and the process will continue till Dec. 12. The quota for Pakistanis performing the pilgrimage under the government’s scheme next year is 89,605, with the pilgrimage expected to cost Rs1,075,000 [$3,769] per head. 

“We have received around 13,000 applications for Hajj so far in 10 days under the government scheme,” Umar Butt, the religion ministry’s spokesperson, told Arab News. 

“Inflation and opening of early Hajj applications may be the reasons behind a slow response from the applicants.” 

Pakistan’s consumer price index (CPI) jumped 29.2 percent in November on a year-on-year basis, the country’s statistics bureau said earlier this month. Prices went up by 2.7 percent in November as compared to a 1 percent increase in the month before. 

Butt added that Pakistan failed to fulfill its Hajj quota in 2023 following which it surrendered a quota of 8,000 pilgrims to Saudi Arabia. 

This year, Saudi Arabia restored Pakistan’s pre-coronavirus Hajj quota of 179,210 pilgrims and lifted the upper age limit of 65 years to perform the pilgrimage. More than 81,000 Pakistani pilgrims performed Hajj under the government scheme in 2023 while the rest used private tour operators. 

Speaking about the Hajj sponsorship scheme, Butt said the government has so far received below 1,000 applications against an allocated quota of 25,000 pilgrims. 

The ‘Sponsorship Scheme Hajj’ was introduced by the government this year, allowing overseas Pakistanis to apply for Hajj or sponsor someone in Pakistan for the journey by paying in US dollars. In return, applicants would not have to participate in the balloting process. 

This year, the government’s Hajj sponsorship scheme could only attract 7,000 applications against a total quota of 44,000. The numbers were a setback for Pakistan as the South Asian country hoped to generate $194 million from the scheme out of the total $284 million required for its 2023 Hajj operation.

“The government may decide to extend the Hajj applications date to encourage a positive response from applicants,” Butt said.

He, however, said if Pakistan failed to receive the required number of Hajj applications, it would once again have to surrender its quota of pilgrims to Saudi Arabia. 

Butt said the government initiated the process of inviting Hajj 2024 applications early following a request from Saudi Arabia as the kingdom wanted to arrange accommodation, transportation, and other facilities for pilgrims on time. 

Applicants for next year’s Hajj would also not be required to submit COVID-19 immunization certificates as the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the disease no longer a public health emergency, Butt said. 

This year, Saudi Arabia has also included Karachi in its Makkah Route Initiative, following successful operations in Islamabad. The initiative allows pilgrims performing Hajj under the government scheme the convenience of undergoing all immigration requirements to enter Saudi Arabia from their home countries’ airports. 

Islamabad has also requested the kingdom to include Lahore airport in the project to facilitate more Pakistani pilgrims. 


Pakistan deputy PM to visit New York tomorrow to attend UNSC briefing on Palestine

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan deputy PM to visit New York tomorrow to attend UNSC briefing on Palestine

  • The briefing comes days after Israel’s move to approve land registration in the West Bank for the first time since 1967
  • Ishaq Dar will reiterate Pakistan’s opposition to Israel’s move, emphasize ceasefire and humanitarian assistance in Gaza

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s deputy prime minister and foreign minister, Ishaq Dar, will visit New York on Wednesday to participate in a high-level United Nations Security Council (UNSC) briefing on the situation in Palestine, the Pakistani foreign ministry said.

The development comes days after Israel’s move to approve land registration in the West Bank for the first time since 1967, which is likely to make it easier for Jewish settlers to buy land and ultimately annex the area, as well as Israeli ceasefire violations in Gaza.

Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Indonesia, Egypt and Türkiye have condemned the Israeli move, saying it was meant to accelerate illegal settlement activity, land confiscation and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over Palestinian territory.

Dar will reaffirm Pakistan’s principled and consistent position on Palestine during the UNSC briefing, which will be presided over by United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper in her capacity as president of the Security Council.

“He (Dar) will reiterate Pakistan’s strong opposition of Israel’s recent illegal decisions to expand its control over the West Bank, emphasize the need for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza, full implementation of Security Council resolution 2803, scaled-up humanitarian assistance, and the early commencement of Gaza’s recovery and reconstruction,” the Pakistan foreign office said on Tuesday.

The UNSC resolution 2803, adopted on Nov. 17, endorsed President Donald Trump’s peace plan for Gaza. Under the plan unveiled by the White House in Oct., Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas have agreed to a framework in which a Palestinian technocratic administration would operate under the oversight of an international board during a transitional period.

Dar will underscore Pakistan’s continued engagement with international and regional partners, including the Group of Eight Arab and Islamic countries and the United States, in support of a just and lasting peace, anchored in international law, leading to the realization of the Palestinian people’s right to self-determination, according to the Pakistani foreign ministry.

He will reiterate Islamabad’s call for the establishment of an “independent, sovereign and contiguous Palestinian state based on pre-1967 borders, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital,” it added.

The Pakistani deputy PM will also hold bilateral meetings with counterparts to discuss matters of mutual interest on the margins of the visit.