Israeli drone attack on car kills Lebanese woman, 3 grandchildren

Lebanese lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah told Reuters that the killing of the three children and their grandmother was “a dangerous development” in the conflict that would have repercussions. (X/File)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2023
Follow

Israeli drone attack on car kills Lebanese woman, 3 grandchildren

  • Children’s mother was driving vehicle through Ghadmata when it was hit
  • Lebanese health ministry calls incident ‘a stark violation of international humanitarian law’

LONDON: Three children and their grandmother were killed in an Israeli drone strike in southern Lebanon, Lebanese state media reported on Sunday.

The incident happened as the victims were driving through the town of Ghadmata. The car was being driven by Huda Hijazi, the mother of the children, who were aged 14, 12 and 10.

The fourth victim was Hijazi’s mother.

Hijazi is the niece of Lebanese radio correspondent Samir Ayoub, who was driving in a separate vehicle when the attack took place. Both Hijazi and Ayoub were injured in the blast.

Soon after the strike, Israeli media reported that the Israeli army had “shelled fighters on their way to target an Israeli settlement with missiles.”

Lebanese lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah told Reuters that the killing of the three children and their grandmother was “a dangerous development” in the conflict that would have repercussions.

“The enemy will pay the price for its crimes against civilians,” he said.

The Lebanese Ministry of Health described the attack as “a stark violation of international humanitarian law.”

Israel has yet to issue a statement.


Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation

  • The regulator says Grok has created and shared sexualized images of real people, including children. Researchers say some examples appear to involve minors
  • X also faces other probes in Europe over illegal content and user safety

LONDON: Elon Musk’s social media platform X faces a European Union privacy investigation after its Grok AI chatbot started spitting out nonconsensual deepfake images, Ireland’s data privacy regulator said Tuesday.
Ireland’s Data Protection Commission said it notified X on Monday that it was opening the inquiry under the 27-nation EU’s strict data privacy regulations, adding to the scrutiny X is facing in Europe and other parts of the world over Grok’s behavior.
Grok sparked a global backlash last month after it started granting requests from X users to undress people with its AI image generation and editing capabilities, including putting females in transparent bikinis or revealing clothing. Researchers said some images appeared to include children. The company later introduced some restrictions on Grok, though authorities in Europe weren’t satisfied.
The Irish watchdog said its investigation focuses on the apparent creation and posting on X of “potentially harmful” nonconsensual intimate or sexualized images containing or involving personal data from Europeans, including children.
X did not respond to a request for comment.
Grok was built by Musk’s artificial intelligence company xAI and is available through X, where its responses to user requests are publicly visible.
The watchdog said the investigation will seek to determine whether X complied with the EU data privacy rules known as GDPR, or the General Data Protection Regulation. Under the rules, the Irish regulator takes the lead on enforcing the bloc’s privacy rules because X’s European headquarters is in Dublin. Violations can result in hefty fines.
The regulator “has been engaging” with X since media reports started circulating weeks earlier about “the alleged ability of X users to prompt the @Grok account on X to generate sexualized images of real people, including children,” Deputy Commissioner Graham Doyle said in a press statement.
Spain’s government has ordered prosecutors to investigate X, Meta and TikTok for alleged crimes related to the creation and proliferation of AI-generated child sex abuse material on their platforms, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez said on Tuesday.
“These platforms are attacking the mental health, dignity and rights of our sons and daughters,” Sánchez wrote on X.
Spain announced earlier this month that it was pursuing a ban on access to social media platforms for under-16s.
Earlier this month, French prosecutors raided X’s Paris offices and summoned Musk for questioning. Meanwhile, the data privacy and media regulators in Britain, which has left the EU, have opened their own investigations into X.
The platform is already facing a separate EU investigation from Brussels over whether it has been complying with the bloc’s digital rulebook for protecting social media users that requires platforms to curb the spread of illegal content such as child sexual abuse material.