MUMBAI: Sachin Tendulkar said the India team at the World Cup were a “joy to watch” after a statue of the batting great was unveiled at his Wankhede Stadium home ground in Mumbai on Wednesday.
Tournament hosts India, bidding for a third World Cup title, are the only unbeaten side left in the 10-team event heading into their pool match against Sri Lanka at the Wankhede on Thursday.
Tendulkar, a member of the India side that defeated Sri Lanka in the 2011 World Cup final at the Wankhede, was keen not to add to the pressure on a team captained by Rohit Sharma, another talented Mumbai batsman.
But after several dynamic India displays — including a 100-run thrashing of struggling champions England last time out — he said: “They have been a joy to watch.
“I am extremely happy with the way they have played this tournament.”
Earlier Tendulkar, surrounded by photographers, television personnel and police, was serenaded onto the outfield by a band playing traditional Indian dhol drums.
Then, at the push of a button, a statue created by local sculptor Pramod Kamble was unveiled amid fireworks and streamers.
The statue is sited high in a gap next to the Sachin Tendulkar stand, overlooking the field of play from square-on, with the ‘Little Master’ depicted at the finish of a classic straight drive — one of his most familiar shots.
While stands at many grounds around the world are named after famous players, there are few statues of living cricketers anywhere and even fewer inside a venue.
“It is indeed a special moment for me,” said the 50-year-old Tendulkar following the unveiling. “I’m truly humbled...Standing here brings back so many memories.”
Tendulkar recalled how his first visit to the Wankhede had been as a 10-year-old boy in 1983 to watch India play the West Indies soon after India had defeated the Caribbean side to win the World Cup for the first time at Lord’s.
He was in a group of 25, including his older brother, that only had 24 tickets.
“But somehow they snuck this small 10-year-old boy into the ground,” said Tendulkar, who added he was delighted to then find himself a member of the ground’s ‘North Stand Gang’, notorious for its vocal support.
He also reminisced about how boyhood hero Sunil Gavaskar, another Mumbai and India great, had invited him into the home changing room at the Wankhede during the 1987 World Cup when Tendulkar was a teenage ball-boy.
The following year Tendulkar was selected to play for Mumbai but did not feature in the same side as Gavaskar.
He did, however, take over Gavaskar’s space in the changing room and made a hundred at the Wankhede on his first-class debut.
“It was a seat that was not used to being occupied,” said Tendulkar in a reference to prolific opener Gavaskar. “So I had no choice but to make a hundred.”
Tendulkar, international cricket’s leading run-scorer across all formats, with 34,357 runs from 664 matches, including a 100 hundreds, said while it had been a huge honor to play for Mumbai it was always his ambition to play for India and win the World Cup.
“And the dream was realized in 2011,” said Tendulkar, whose international career had started when he was just 16 in 1989.
“That was the happiest day, without any doubt,” said Tendulkar of lifting the “beautiful trophy.”
Tendulkar, who retired in 2013 after a Test against the West Indies at the Wankhede, said every batsman needs a non-striker as he dedicated the statue to “all the cricketers who played with me.”
India ‘joy to watch’ says Tendulkar after statue unveiling
https://arab.news/bf9au
India ‘joy to watch’ says Tendulkar after statue unveiling
- Tendulkar’s statue was unveiled on Wednesday at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai
- Tournament hosts India are the only undefeated side in this year’s World Cup
Tiger Woods opens door to Masters return, US Ryder Cup captaincy
- Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April
LOS ANGELES: Undaunted following a milestone birthday and a trio of recent major physical setbacks that have limited his tournament schedule to a trickle, Tiger Woods believes he has plenty of game left.
Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April.
“I’m trying. Put it that way,” the 50-year-old Woods said. “The disc replacement has been one thing. It’s been a challenge to — I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging.
“And now, I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I won’t do out here on (in PGA Tour events) because I don’t believe in it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly (an) opportunity.”
In reality, Woods might be too busy to play tournament golf these days.
As the chair of the new Future Competitions Committee, Woods is heavily involved in what will be a new-look PGA Tour as early as the 2027 season, with a full roll out aimed for 2028. He revealed on Tuesday he was asked about his interest in being the United States captain for the 2027 Ryder Cup.
“Yeah, they have asked me for my input on it, and I haven’t made my decision yet,” Woods said of the Ryder Cup showdown against Europe that is set to be played in Ireland. “I’m trying to figure out what we’re trying to do with our tour.
“That’s been driving me hours upon hours every day and trying to figure out if I can actually do our team, our Team USA and our players and everyone that’s going to be involved in the Ryder Cup, if I can do it justice with my time.”
This week, Woods’ main focus will be to welcome the field to the Genesis Invitational where he is the tournament host. While Riviera was the site of his first ever PGA Tour event, on a sponsor’s exemption at the Los Angeles Open in 1992 when he was 16, the Southern California native will not be playing this week.
But still could be on the course soon.
As for Augusta National, the 15-time major winner was asked if participating in the Masters was ruled out, Woods said “No.”
Future changes to the PGA Tour are not expected to move the Masters off its traditional spring window, but Woods said a myriad of other options are being considered. The plan essentially will create a shorter tournament calendar while still improving the product.
“Yeah, we’re going to get more top players playing and we’re going to make it more competitive,” Woods said. .”.. Having Brooks (Koepka) come back, having Patrick Reed play as well as he is and committed to coming back to the tour, having Scottie (Scheffler) as dominant as he has been, and to have Rory (McIlroy) complete the career grand slam, you have a lot of top players, but also you have a lot of youth that has come up.”
The current West Coast swing, which is the traditional start to the PGA Tour season, might cease to exist or be completely altered. Instead of starting the PGA Tour season in January, reports have indicated future seasons could start after the Super Bowl.
“Well, I think it’s trying to serve literally everyone, from the player side of it, from our media partners, from all of our title sponsors, from the local communities or even changing venues and going to bigger markets,” Woods said. “It’s what do we need to do from a competitive model to make our tour the best product it can possibly be each and every year and still have room for development. How do we do all of that at the same time?“
This week’s tournament in the Los Angeles area could remain in its February window or move toward the end of the season in August and be a playoff venue.
“It’s been a lot of moving parts, but it’s been in sync,” Woods said. “We’ve had a lot of information thrown our way, which has been great. Everyone is working collaboratively together.”
Woods could even be a part of that future schedule as a player. He still has physical limitations from the shattered right leg that happened during a single-car crash in 2021, followed by an Achilles injury and disc replacement surgery in his back this past October.
Given his physical ailments, playing on the Champions Tour, which allows players to use a golf cart, is under consideration. Woods turned 50 just over a month ago, making him eligible for the Champions Tour.
“I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging,” Woods said. “And I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I won’t do out here on this tour because I don’t believe in it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly that opportunity.”
He had no timetable on when a Champions Tour debut might take place. Woods is more content with turning back the clock this week.
“For me, that’s part of the neat thing about being here at (Riviera), being able to go back in time as a kid,” Woods said.










