More than 1,000 Afghans who fled Taliban to travel to UK ‘to be made homeless in December’

The first flight carrying Afghan refugees from Pakistan to the UK arrived on Friday. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 October 2023
Follow

More than 1,000 Afghans who fled Taliban to travel to UK ‘to be made homeless in December’

  • Council leaders appealed for additional funding to help accommodate Afghans and Ukrainians, but none was offered

LONDON: More than 1,000 Afghans who fled the Taliban for a new life in the UK are facing the threat of being made homeless after the Home Office imposed a new deadline of Dec. 15 to evict them from hotels, The Guardian reported.

The Local Government Association says some Afghans who served UK interests in Afghanistan could already be sleeping on the streets after the government forced them out of hotels more than two years after they were evacuated from Kabul.

Separate new data shows that more than 5,200 Ukrainian families are currently receiving “homelessness support,” with 4,350 identified as homeless after relationships with UK families with whom they were residing “broke down.”

Council leaders appealed to Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick on Thursday for additional funding to help accommodate Afghans and Ukrainians, but none was offered.

LGA Chairman Shaun Davies told The Guardian: “Councils are becoming increasingly concerned over the numbers of Afghan and Ukrainian families presenting as homeless, which is likely to dramatically increase when Home Office accommodation is withdrawn as a result of the current clearance of the asylum backlog.”

According to an internal LGA briefing note on the plight of Afghan refugees who arrived in the UK in 2021: “Councils remain hugely concerned that some families — some of whom are particularly vulnerable and will have ongoing medical conditions — may have to end up presenting as homeless, particularly given the lack of available housing stock for larger and multi-generational families.”

The crisis has been exacerbated by the arrival of Afghans who had been waiting for relocation in Pakistan.

The refugees are thought to have been accommodated in former Ministry of Defence buildings. However, councils suspect some will have to be resettled in hotels that the government intends on keeping free of asylum-seekers.

The first flight carrying Afghan refugees from Pakistan to the UK arrived on Friday. Another 3,200 in Pakistan are awaiting UK visas after working for the British government or the army.

The LGA briefing note added: “Afghanistan households who were not included as part of the 2021 evacuation to the UK but are entitled to come as part of the existing resettlement schemes — potentially several thousand more people — are also likely to arrive in the coming weeks.”

Veterans’ Affairs Minister Johnny Mercer said in August that if Afghans who worked for the UK government ended up homeless, he would have failed.

A government spokesperson told the Guardian: “The UK made an ambitious and generous commitment to the people of Afghanistan and, so far, we have brought around 24,600 people to safety.

“We do not recognize the Local Government Association figures as the vast majority of those still in interim accommodation have been pre-matched to settled accommodation.”
 


Immigration judge rejects Trump effort to deport Palestinian student

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Immigration judge rejects Trump effort to deport Palestinian student

  • Mahdawi, born and raised in a refugee camp in the West Bank, was arrested in April 2025 upon arriving for an interview for his ‌US citizenship petition

A US immigration judge has rejected efforts by President Donald Trump’s administration to deport Columbia University student Mohsen Mahdawi, who was arrested ​last year following his participation in pro-Palestinian protests. Lawyers for Mahdawi detailed the immigration judge’s decision in a court filing on Tuesday with a federal appeals court in New York, which had been reviewing a ruling that led to his release from immigration custody in April.
It was the latest case in which an immigration judge rejected a case brought as part of the broader ‌effort by Trump’s administration ‌to detain and deport non-citizen students ​with pro-Palestinian ‌or ⁠anti-Israel ​views who ⁠engaged in campus activism.
Chelmsford, Massachusetts-based Immigration Judge Nina Froes wrote in a February 13 decision that the US Department of Homeland Security failed to meet its burden of proving he was removable, which it sought to do using an unauthenticated document signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio. “This decision is an important step toward upholding what ⁠fear tried to destroy: the right to speak ‌for peace and justice,” Mahdawi said ‌in a statement.
The department did not immediately ​respond to a request for comment. ‌The administration has the option of challenging the judge’s decision ‌before the Board of Immigration Appeals, part of the US Department of Justice.
Mahdawi, born and raised in a refugee camp in the West Bank, was arrested in April 2025 upon arriving for an interview for his ‌US citizenship petition. A judge swiftly ordered Trump’s administration not to deport him from the US ⁠or take him ⁠out of the state of Vermont.
After two weeks in detention, Mahdawi walked out of the federal courthouse in Burlington, Vermont, after US District Judge Geoffrey Crawford ordered that he be released.
In another case, an immigration judge on January 29 terminated removal proceedings the administration initiated against Tufts University PhD student Rumeysa Ozturk, who was targeted after co-authoring an editorial that criticized her school’s response to Israel’s war in Gaza.
Last month, a federal judge in Boston ruled that the administration had adopted an unlawful policy of detaining and deporting ​scholars like Ozturk and Mahdawi ​that chilled the free speech of non-citizen academics at universities. The Justice Department is appealing that decision.