From Uber Eats to World Cup feast for ‘fast bowling delivery guy’ Van Meekeren

Netherlands' Paul Van Meekeren bowls during the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup match between South Africa and Netherlands in Dharamshala, India, on October 17, 2023. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 20 October 2023
Follow

From Uber Eats to World Cup feast for ‘fast bowling delivery guy’ Van Meekeren

  • Van Meekeren was just one of the players in the Dutch team who had to hold down day jobs
  • Nidamanuru worked as a business development manager before 2022 international debut

NEW DELHI: Netherlands fast bowler Paul van Meekeren has been part of two shock World Cup victories but just three years ago was making ends meet delivering food for Uber Eats.
Van Meekeren and his Dutch teammates stunned the World Cup on Tuesday with a 38-run victory over South Africa in the Himalayan hill town of Dharamsala.
In November last year, Van Meekeren was also part of the side which shocked the Proteas in the Twenty20 World Cup.
“I am a professional cricketer now for seven years,” the 30-year-old, who has played for Somerset, Durham and Gloucestershire in the English county championship, told AFP on Thursday.
However, when Covid brought sport to a standstill in 2020 it meant the Twenty20 global showpiece scheduled for that year was also shelved.
“I just ran out of contract and had to earn money to pay the bills,” he said.
“I took the job with Uber Eats because I could then rule my own work times and be available when a cricket opportunity would come.”
He added: “The story was really big when it went viral and keeps coming back. That’s okay with me, but it is not as romantic as it sounds. I am fine with being the fast bowling delivery guy.”
Van Meekeren was just one of the players in the Dutch team who had to hold down day jobs.
Indian-born Teja Nidamanuru worked as a business development manager before his international debut in 2022.
But the bunch of spirited Dutch players, who have come from different parts of the globe, including some from South Africa, are a united force.
Their win over South Africa was the second big upset of this tournament after Afghanistan shocked defending champions England, but Van Meekeren insists the win was coming.
“The victory was good, but for us it was no surprise,” said Van Meekeren.
“We train hard and prepare well. It was the result of that. We celebrated of course and were happy, but next day it was travel, and start focussing and preparing for the game against Sri Lanka on Saturday.”
There were phone calls and messages after Tuesday’s famous win from back home, but Van Meekeren said “they also know what we are here for and that is more than one win. We don’t get carried away by this.”
The Dutch have been an associate member of the International Cricket Council since 1966.
They only made it to this World Cup by coming through the qualifiers where they defeated two-time champions West Indies.
But Van Meekeren, who took up cricket in Haarlem where his father played football for Koninklijke HFC, doesn’t feel his team are second class citizens.
“It doesn’t hurt (being called minnows) but we don’t feel minnows,” said Van Meekeren.
Their win over South Africa was their first against a Test-playing nation at a 50-over World Cup and just their third in total.
“We know where we are and where we come from. Of course it would be good to have more games. I hope that all the countries who came through the last years do realize that growth of the international scene enriches the cricket world,” he said.
Captained by Scott Edwards, who hit an unbeaten 78 against South Africa, the men in orange have grown by leaps and bounds and Van Meekeren credits coach Ryan Cook for making the unit more professional.
“Well we have a good amount of professionals players with a contract in England or elsewhere. And the guys in The Netherlands are in a good program these days,” said Van Meekeren.
“Besides from their club cricket they train nearly on a daily basis with our staff. Since Ryan Cook arrived coaches come to the players for one-on-one sessions instead of all going to one place all the time.”


Pakistan PM to seek clarity on troops for Gaza in US visit, sources say

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan PM to seek clarity on troops for Gaza in US visit, sources say

  • Pakistan’s prime minister is set to attend first meeting of Donald Trump’s Board of Peace body on Thursday
  • Shehbaz Sharif wants clarity on peace mission force’s goal, what authority they would operate under, say sources

ISLAMABAD: Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it ​wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.
Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif ‌wanted to better ‌understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were ​operating ‌under ⁠and ​what the ⁠chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

“We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza,” said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

“We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question,” he said.
Pakistan’s foreign ministry did not respond to a Reuters request for a comment.

FORCE ⁠TO OVERSEE RECONSTRUCTION AND RECOVERY

Trump’s 20-point Gaza plan calls for ‌a force from Muslim nations to oversee a ‌transition period for reconstruction and economic recovery in the devastated ​Palestinian territory, and Washington has been pressing ‌Islamabad to join.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with ‌its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

“We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play,” the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump ‌earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on ⁠the sidelines of the ⁠meeting or the following day at the White House.

BALANCING FACTORS

Initially designed to cement Gaza’s ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza’s Hamas.

Analysts say Islamabad will need to strike a balance between pleasing Trump by providing troops and any potential domestic fallout in a predominantly Muslim nation.

Husain Haqqani, a former Pakistan ambassador to the United States, said the Pakistani public supported sending troops to Gaza only to help protect Palestinians.

“If developments ​in Gaza after the deployment do ​not improve the position of Palestinians, there could be a massive reaction at the public level in Pakistan,” said Haqqani, currently a scholar at the Hudson Institute in Washington.