Unbeaten UFC prospect Muhammad Mokaev relishing Abu Dhabi return

Fighting out of Manchester, UK, Muhammad Mokaev is a hugely popular fighter in the Middle East. (X: @muhammadmokaev)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2023
Follow

Unbeaten UFC prospect Muhammad Mokaev relishing Abu Dhabi return

  • British fighter won on his previous visit to the UAE capital last year

ABU DHABI: Unbeaten flyweight Muhammad Mokaev returns to Abu Dhabi on Saturday for UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2, looking to build on the win he enjoyed on his last trip to the UAE capital. 

Mokaev will take on Tim Elliot at Etihad Arena in a strong card headlined by the highly anticipated lightweight title clash between Islam Makhachev and the UFC featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski. 

Fighting out of Manchester, UK, Mokaev is a hugely popular fighter in the Middle East. This is due to his exciting fighting style and personal story. 

A refugee from Dagestan, Mokaev moved to the UK at the age of 12. From his family having to live on the equivalent of only $7 a day, he has become one of the UFC’s most exciting prospects with a 10-0-0 (1 no contest) record. He has achieved a perfect four wins from as many contests in the Octagon. 

With his Muslim faith endearing him to the region’s fight fans, he has enjoyed phenomenal support when fighting in Abu Dhabi, where he secured a submission victory over Malcolm Gordon in October 2022. 

Mokaev said he could not wait to return to Etihad Arena and put on a show for his supporters.

“I have an amazing fan base in Abu Dhabi,” he said. “Even when I fought on the prelims last year, the packed arena made it feel like a main event.

“I am very excited to be back and fighting again — I am as excited now as when I made my debut. When I got injured in March, I knew there would be UFC in Abu Dhabi and straight away I told the UFC, ‘Book me for this.’ They told me I might not be recovered in time, but I said ‘I will be recovered to fight there’.” 

The 23-year-old came to Bahrain in September to finish his preparations and ensure he was acclimatized to the Middle Eastern weather before his clash with Elliot.

“We came out here on Sept. 7 because the climate is a big difference to the UK,” he said. “A lot of fighters make the mistake of coming out too late, but I wasn’t going to do that.” 

Three of Mokaev’s four UFC wins have come by submission, and he is promising fans they will see the best version of him yet. “I think my all-round game has got a lot better — but especially my strength. I have been working on a lot of strength conditioning and you will see a different version of me in Abu Dhabi — this is Mokaev 2.0.

“I just want to say thank you to all the people who support me and I am looking forward to giving my thanks to them in Abu Dhabi with another (strong) performance inside the Octagon.” 


Mancini’s Al-Sadd advance in Asian Champions League despite defeat

Updated 59 min 30 sec ago
Follow

Mancini’s Al-Sadd advance in Asian Champions League despite defeat

  • Al-Sadd will take on table-toppers Al-Hilal over two legs in early March in the ⁠next round
  • “Today was a very difficult game,” said Al-Sadd goal scorer Rafa Mujica

DOHA: Roberto Mancini’s Al-Sadd suffered a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Saudi Pro League champions Al-Ittihad in the Asian Champions League Elite in Doha on Tuesday but the Qatari club still scraped through to the last 16 of the continental championship.
A 2-0 loss for Al-Sadd’s compatriots Al-Gharafa against Iranian outfit Tractor FC meant Mancini’s side clung on to eighth place in the western league phase standings to claim a spot in the knockout rounds.


Al-Sadd will take on table-toppers Al-Hilal over two legs in early March in the ⁠next round while ⁠Al-Ittihad, who finished fourth in the standings, face off against Al-Wahda from the United Arab Emirates.
Defending champions Al-Ahli, also from Saudi Arabia, will play Al-Duhail from Qatar with Tractor meeting UAE’s Shabab Al-Ahli.
“Today was a very difficult game,” said Al-Sadd goal scorer Rafa Mujica. “The first 20, ⁠25 minutes were very bad for us. We conceded everything.
“But we only have to think about the next game. We are qualified. We will see in the next game.”
Mancini’s team needed to match or better the result recorded by Al-Gharafa but went two goals behind inside the opening 18 minutes when Houssem Aouar and Youssef En-Nesyri struck for the visitors.
A Pedro Miguel own goal in the 33rd minute compounded Al-Sadd’s problems although Mujica gave Al-Sadd a ⁠glimmer of ⁠hope seven minutes before the interval.
Stephan Keller restored Al-Ittihad’s three-goal cushion when he scored with a close range finish in the 63rd minute as the Saudi side notched up their second comfortable win in a row.
Al-Gharafa’s hopes were erased, however, when their Iranian visitors scored twice in the final 30 minutes to knock Pedro Martins’ team out of the competition.
Mehdi Hashemnejad netted after the Al-Gharafa defense failed to clear in the 61st minute and Amirhossein Hosseinzadeh’s deflected effort into the top corner put the result beyond doubt with nine minutes remaining.