King Abdullah on Gaza: ‘No refugees in Jordan, no refugees in Egypt’

King Abdullah, during a meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in Berlin, warned against pushing Egypt and Jordan to accept Palestinian refugees from Gaza. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2023
Follow

King Abdullah on Gaza: ‘No refugees in Jordan, no refugees in Egypt’

  • Jordan set to host four-way summit in Amman Wednesday to discuss military de-escalation and aid entry to Gaza
  • Jordanian king warns Middle East ‘on the brink of abyss’

BERLIN: Jordan’s King Abdullah II on Tuesday warned against trying to push Palestinian refugees into Egypt or Jordan, adding that the escalating humanitarian situation must be dealt with inside Gaza and the West Bank.
“That is a red line, because I think that is the plan by certain of the usual suspects to try and create de facto issues on the ground. No refugees in Jordan, no refugees in Egypt,” King Abdullah said said at a news conference following a meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz in Berlin, according to state news agency Petra.

King Abdullah said leaders are resuming talks to stop the violence and allow the entry of aid into Gaza. He confirmed Tuesday that Jordan will host a four-way summit in Amman, hosting US President Joe Biden, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Biden is scheduled to head for Jordan after Israel, while the German chancellor is set to head for Israel after his meeting with Jordan’s king later Tuesday.

King Abdullah II warned of a dire situation in the Middle East if the conflict between Israel and Hamas is allowed to spread to other countries.
“The whole region is on the brink of falling into the abyss,” he added. “All our efforts are needed to make sure we don't get there,” he said.
Scholz also warned against an escalation.
“We have a common goal to prevent a conflagration in the region,” said Scholz.
“I once again expressly warn Hezbollah and Iran not to intervene in this conflict,” he said.

During his meeting with Germany’s President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in Berlin, the king spoke about the worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza due to the shortage of food, water and medicine. And he called for assurances that the medical sector could continue to treat sick and injured Palestinians amid the conflict, Petra reported.

King Abdullah also rejected any attempt to forcibly displace the Palestinian people, and stressed that such action would plunge the region into another disaster and a new cycle of violence and destruction, Petra added.

He called for the respect of international humanitarian laws that guarantee the protection of civilians, and said work must be done to ensure a “just and comprehensive peace on the basis of the two-state solution.”

The two leaders also covered ways to improve bilateral ties, and the importance of maintaining coordination on developments in the region.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.