Cricket-Fans throng hospitals for overnight stay as Indo-Pak hysteria grips Ahmedabad

Fans arrive to watch the opening match of the 2023 Cricket World Cup between England and New Zealand at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on October 5, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 October 2023
Follow

Cricket-Fans throng hospitals for overnight stay as Indo-Pak hysteria grips Ahmedabad

  • Many hospitals have seen a sudden influx of patients booked in for night stays to coincide with Saturday’s match
  • Several doctors said the rush for check-up ‘packages’ was an ingenious way to find affordable accommodation

NEW DELHI/AHMEDABAD: Cricket fever has gripped Ahmedabad ahead of Saturday’s World Cup group stage clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan and a visit to the hospitals near the venue of the match in the western Indian city clearly shows the degree of excitement.
Quite a few of the hospitals have seen a sudden influx of patients booked in for check-ups involving a night’s stay to coincide with the most anticipated match of the World Cup.
Several doctors told local media the rush for check-up ‘packages’ was an ingenious way to find affordable accommodation as hotel costs have soared up to 20 fold ahead of the match.
“We have come across some cases of people coming to watch the India-Pakistan match also taking an appointment for health check-ups and staying in hospitals,” Tushar Patel, President of the Ahmedabad Medical Association, told Reuters.
The Ahmedabad Hospitals and Nursing Homes Association has discouraged its members from accommodating such fans.
“We have asked our members not to entertain such requests. Hospitals are not meant for non-patients,” its president Bharat Gadhavi told Reuters.

THREE WARS
The Asian neighbors have fought three wars since becoming separate countries in 1947 and the relationship further soured after gunmen killed 166 people in Mumbai in 2008, which India blamed on a Pakistani militant group.
While bilateral cricket became a casualty of geopolitical realities, it also whetted the appetite for a clash between neighbors who play each other only in multi-team events.
India and Pakistan head into the showdown having both won their opening two matches at the tournament.
The first batch of tickets for Saturday’s game were sold out within an hour of going on sale in August, prompting the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to release another 14,000 earlier this month.
Ahmedabad resident Hemish Patel and his friends, after several days of failed attempts, grabbed four tickets, each costing 6,000 Indian rupees ($72.15).
“We logged into the site with multiple devices,” he said.
“We constantly kept on refreshing the site and were able to book within 10 minutes after the sale of tickets began.”
Patel was one of the lucky few.
Tickets are fetching up to 25 times face value on resale and city police arrested four youths on Tuesday for selling fakes.
Airfare has surged up to four times and Indian railways will run a pair of super fast trains linking Mumbai and Ahmedabad.

PERFECT VENUE
The 134,000-capacity Narendra Modi Stadium, which hosted former US President Donald Trump in 2020 and Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese earlier this year, looks a perfect arena for cricket’s fiercest rivalry.
The city has been declared a ‘no-drone zone’ on Saturday, and 11,000 security personnel will be deployed for the high-profile match, Ahmedabad police commissioner GS Malik said.
On their first tour of India since the 2016 T20 World Cup, Pakistan were accorded a warm welcome in Hyderabad, where they played their first two matches.
India have a perfect 7-0 record against Pakistan at ODI World Cups and while the rivalry assumes the Orwellian concept of serious sport — “war minus the shooting” — players from both sides share good relations.
During the Sri Lanka leg of the Asia Cup last month, Pakistan fast bowler Shaheen Afridi gave Jasprit Bumrah a gift for the Indian’s newborn baby and the video went viral.
It will be a special occasion for Indian Liyakat Khan, whose daughter Samiya is married to Pakistan fast bowler Hasan Ali.
“My wife went to Pakistan in 2021 when my daughter was expecting her first child. We will meet again ... I can’t wait to hold my grandchild,” Khan told the Indian Express newspaper.
 


Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Al-Nassr move top of Saudi Pro League after Al-Hilal held by 10-man Al-Ittihad

  • Cristiano Ronaldo scores brace in dominant 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem
  • Al-Hilal take early lead against Al-Ittihad before Houssem Aouar equalises despite visitors playing with 10 men

RIYADH: Less than a month after Cristiano Ronaldo withdrew from the squad for two consecutive matches, Al-Nassr now sit top of the Saudi Pro League with 12 games remaining.

A commanding 4-0 victory over Al-Hazem, combined with Al-Ittihad holding Al-Hilal to a 1-1 draw despite playing with 10 men for more than 80 minutes, saw Al-Nassr return to the summit.

The Kingdom Arena witnessed a blistering start to the Saudi Clasico. Karim Benzema threaded a pass through to Salem Al-Dawsari, who squared the ball for Malcom to open the scoring in the fifth minute.

Al-Hilal immediately pressed for a second, with their attacking movement unsettling the visitors’ defence. Hassan Kadesh was initially cautioned in the eighth minute for pulling down Malcom, but a VAR review upgraded the decision to a red card as the Brazilian broke through on goal.

The dismissal sparked controversy, with players disputing the call and fans debating the decision on social media, including under broadcaster Thmanyah’s post on X questioning whether it was the correct outcome.

Al-Ittihad reshaped into a 4-4-1, with Houssem Aouar dropping into the left side of midfield and Mario Mitaj slotting in at left-back, placing increased responsibility on Mahamadou Doumbia to drive the team forward.

In the 23rd minute, Doumbia wriggled free from pressure deep in his own half before releasing Youssef En-Nesyri with a dangerous through ball, but Yassine Bounou stood firm to deny his countryman.

Al-Ittihad continued to threaten through direct passes to En-Nesyri. In first-half stoppage time, he broke into space once more before Hassan Al-Tambakti intervened with a crucial interception.

At the other end, Benzema went close to doubling the lead just before the interval, but Predrag Rajkovic produced a decisive save after the Frenchman was found unmarked inside the six-yard box.

Despite being reduced to 10 men, Al-Ittihad refused to retreat. In the 53rd minute, a floated cross from Muhannad Al-Shanqeeti found Aouar, who slipped in behind Moteb Al-Harbi to head past Bounou and level the score.

En-Nesyri was presented with another clear opening in the 64th minute, but his effort lacked conviction and was comfortably gathered by Bounou.

Al-Hilal, by contrast, struggled to replicate their first-half dominance. Rajkovic produced nine saves on the night, while Danilo Pereira delivered a resolute defensive display to deny Al-Dawsari and Benzema space in the final third.

Despite registering more than 10 attempts after the break, Al-Hilal failed to rediscover their rhythm as Sergio Conceicao organized a disciplined defensive performance to earn Al-Ittihad a valuable point in Riyadh.

While Al-Hilal were held at Kingdom Arena, Al-Nassr were a short drive away at Al-Awwal Park, knowing victory would take them top.

A week after scoring the winner against Al-Fateh on his return, Ronaldo opened the scoring once again after Kingsley Coman found him unmarked inside the box.

Coman was also involved in Al-Nassr’s second goal on the half-hour mark, when Joao Felix slipped the Frenchman through before he powered his finish into the net.

As news of Al-Ittihad’s equalizer filtered through, the noise inside Al-Awwal Park intensified. Angelo added a third in the 77th minute after a surging run from halfway that saw him glide past four Al-Hazem players, before Ronaldo sealed the win with a composed finish two minutes later — his 20th league goal of the season.

The result lifts Al-Nassr to first place on 55 points, one ahead of Al-Hilal in second. Al-Ittihad remain sixth on 38 points, behind Al-Taawoun, with an AFC Champions League Elite spot now 13 points away.

Elsewhere, Al-Khaleej and NEOM faced off in Dammam, with the match interrupted by a 19-minute power outage. After play resumed, NEOM snatched a 1-0 victory as Alexandre Lacazette converted a penalty in the 88th minute.

The Saudi Pro League returns on Monday following a one-day break to mark Saudi Founding Day. 

The gap between first and fourth now stands at just five points, with Al-Nassr facing Al-Fayha, Al-Hilal hosting rivals Al-Shabab, Al-Ahli meeting Al-Riyadh and Al-Qadsiah taking  on Al-Taawoun on Matchday 24.