Pakistan condemns ‘inhumane’ Gaza blockade, demands Israel restore power, water supplies

A Palestinian man collects water from a public water collection point, as raging battles between Israel and the Hamas movement continue for the sixth consecutive day in Gaza City on October 12, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 October 2023
Follow

Pakistan condemns ‘inhumane’ Gaza blockade, demands Israel restore power, water supplies

  • Israel announced ‘complete siege’ of Gaza on Monday, cutting off food and fuel supplies
  • Pakistan urges UN to play ‘proactive role’ in facilitating cease-fire between Israel, Hamas

Islamabad: Pakistan’s foreign office spokesperson on Thursday condemned Israel’s “inhumane” blockade of Gaza and demanded that Tel Aviv immediately restore the supply of water and electricity to the Palestinian territory, one of the most crowded places on Earth.

Gaza has been under siege since Saturday in a near-constant bombardment that Gazan health officials say has killed more than 1,000 people. The blitz is retaliation for an attack on Israel by Gaza’s ruling group Hamas which the Israeli military says killed more than 1,200 people.

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said on Monday Israeli forces had laid “a complete siege” of the Gaza strip by blocking water, fuel and power supply to the already besieged area. On Wednesday, Gallant pledged to intensify the military campaign, saying Israel would wipe Hamas “off the face of the Earth.”

“We are deeply concerned about the fast-deteriorating and dire humanitarian situation in Gaza due to inhumane blockade and collective punishment by Israeli forces,” foreign office spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra Baloch told reporters during a press briefing.

“The decision to cut off electricity, fuel and water supplies is unjust and should be reversed as it would severely affect the lives of Palestinians residing in the enclave.”




Graphic content / A woman comforts another mourning outside the morgue of al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City on October 12, 2023. (AFP)

Baloch demanded Israel immediately cease its campaign of “indiscriminate bombing” against the people of Gaza, lift the blockade and provide unhindered access to humanitarian aid.

She called for the urgent intervention of the global community to broker a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas.

“We urge the United Nations to play a proactive role in facilitating a cease-fire to alleviate the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza,” Baloch said.

According to the UN, over 12,600 homes in Gaza have sustained damage due to Israel’s airstrikes since Saturday. The agency also reported that due to severe shortages of fuel and medical supplies, only 13 hospitals in Gaza were partially operational and over 650,000 people faced dire water shortages.

Gaza’s sole power station, which had been working intermittently for days, cut out on Wednesday after running out of fuel.
 


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.