Morocco earthquake: A look at the world’s deadliest temblors over the past 25 years

1 / 5
Emergency workers carry a dead body, in the aftermath of a deadly earthquake, in Amizmiz, Morocco, on September 10, 2023. (REUTERS)
2 / 5
A satellite image shows collapsed buildings in Moulay Brahim, Morocco on September 10, 2023, two days after a powerful earthquake struck the North African country. (Maxar Technologies/Handout via REUTERS)
3 / 5
Using heavy equipment and even their bare hands, rescuers in Morocco on September 10 stepped up efforts to find survivors of a devastating earthquake that killed more than 2,100 people and flattened villages. (AFP)
4 / 5
Rescuers in Morocco were scrambling on September 9 to reach people trapped under the rubble after a powerful earthquake that killed more than 2,100 people and decimated entire villages. (AFP)
5 / 5
People survey the rubble of collapsed houses in the village of Imi N'Tala near Amizmiz in central Morocco on September 10, 2023, two days after the deadly 6.8-magnitude September 8 earthquake. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 September 2023
Follow

Morocco earthquake: A look at the world’s deadliest temblors over the past 25 years

The earthquake that struck Morocco late Friday has killed more than 2,100 people, with the death toll expected to increase as rescuers reach hard-hit remote mountain areas.

Here’s a look at the deadliest earthquakes over the past 25 years:

  • Sept. 8, 2023: In Morocco, a magnitude 6.8 temblor kills more than 2,100 people.
  • Feb. 6, 2023: In Turkiye and Syria, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake kills more than 55,000 people.
  • April 25, 2015: In Nepal, more than 8,800 people are killed by a magnitude 7.8 earthquake.
  • March 11, 2011: A magnitude 9.0 quake off the northeast coast of Japan triggers a tsunami, killing more than 18,400 people.
  • Jan. 12, 2010: In Haiti, over 100,000 people are killed by a magnitude 7.0 quake. The government estimated a staggering 316,000 dead, but the scale of the destruction made an accurate count impossible.
  • May 12, 2008: A magnitude 7.9 quake strikes eastern Sichuan in China, resulting in over 87,500 deaths.
  • May 27, 2006: More than 5,700 people die when a magnitude 6.3 quake hits Indonesia’s Java island.
  • Oct. 8, 2005: A magnitude 7.6 earthquake kills over 80,000 people in Pakistan’s Kashmir region.
  • Dec. 26, 2004: A magnitude 9.1 quake in Indonesia triggers an Indian Ocean tsunami, killing about 230,000 people in a dozen countries.
  • Dec. 26, 2003: A magnitude 6.6 earthquake hits southeastern Iran, causing more than 20,000 deaths.
  • Jan. 26, 2001: A magnitude 7.6 quake strikes Gujarat in India, killing as many as 20,000 people.
  • Aug. 17, 1999: A magnitude 7.6 earthquake hits Izmit, Turkiye, killing about 18,000 people.

Source: AP archives, local governments, US Geological Survey


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.