Pakistani police detain relatives of the man wanted in the death probe of his daughter in UK

This combination of undated handout pictures released by Surrey Police in London and created on September 06, 2023, shows Sara Sharif (C), her father Urfan Sharif (L) and his wife Beinash Batool. (Photo courtesy: SURREY POLICE via AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 September 2023
Follow

Pakistani police detain relatives of the man wanted in the death probe of his daughter in UK

  • Police say parents of deceased girl were hiding while 10 close relatives were held for questioning
  • Autopsy of girl didn’t establish cause of death but showed she suffered ‘multiple, extensive injuries’

LAHORE: Police in central Pakistan detained for interrogation close relatives of a couple wanted by UK police in connection with last month’s death of their 10-year-old daughter in the outskirts of London, an official said Saturday.

A police spokesman in Jehlum, 175 kilometers (108 miles) northwest of Lahore, said that Urfan Sharif and his wife Beinash Batool, the couple sought by UK police, were in hiding and 10 close relatives have been taken into custody for questioning and an investigation.

Among them was Mohammad Sharif, the father of Urfan, his brothers and cousins. Police spokesman Khan Mudassir said detaining close relatives might force the wanted person to surrender.

Pakistani police often detain close relatives of wanted suspects. Suspects’ relatives are not kept in jail, however, to avoid any intervention by the court.

Last week Sharif appealed to his son and daughter in-law to surrender and help police in the investigation, after authorities widened their search for Urfan Sharif. He fled to Pakistan after his daughter, Sara Sharif, was found dead at their home in Woking, on the southwestern outskirts of London, on Aug. 10.

The London police believed the couple was hiding in Pakistan. The British police were also seeking the arrest of Urfan’s brother, Faisal Malik, as part of the investigation.

An autopsy of the girl didn’t establish a cause of death but did show that she had suffered “multiple and extensive injuries, which are likely to have been caused over a sustained and extended period of time,” the police statement said.

Urfan Sharif traveled to the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, with Batool and Malik on Aug. 9, according to local authorities. They traveled with five children, ranging in ages from 1 to 13, the UK police and local officials have said.

Local investigators have said police found evidence that Urfan briefly returned to Jhelum before going into hiding.


Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

  • The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
  • Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction

KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.

Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.

Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.

“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.

“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”

Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.

Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.

“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.

“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”

The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.

The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.

The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.

“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.