PM Kakar pays tribute to fallen soldiers on Pakistan’s Defense and Martyrs’ Day

Pakistan's caretaker prime minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar lays floral wreath to pay tribute to martyrs in front of the Martyrs' Memorial monument in Islamabad on September 6, 2023, during Defence Day ceremony. (Photo courtesy: Government of Pakistan)
Short Url
Updated 06 September 2023
Follow

PM Kakar pays tribute to fallen soldiers on Pakistan’s Defense and Martyrs’ Day

  • The day is celebrated annually on September 6 to recall Pakistan’s response to Indian soldiers who cross international border in 1965
  • ISPR says the Defense Day ‘continues to inspire our generations,’ promises similar response to hostile efforts targeting Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar on Wednesday paid homage to Pakistani soldiers who gave up their lives for the safety and security of the state, saying the whole nation was indebted to their sacrifices.

Kakar made the statement during a ceremony to mark the 58th Defense and Martyrs’ Day, which is observed annually to recall Pakistan’s response to the Indian forces that crossed the international border to launch an attack on the country’s eastern Punjab province on the same day in 1965.

New Delhi’s actions were in response to Pakistan’s attempt to seize control of the Indian-administered territory of Jammu and Kashmir. The entire region remains a subject of dispute between the two nations, with both holding partial control and asserting full claims over it.

“Our martyrs who embraced martyrdom for the sake of their people and the country can never be forgotten and will always remain in our hearts,” the prime minister told the ceremony.

Earlier in the day, Pakistan’s senior military leaders also paid tribute to the country’s fallen soldiers, emphasizing that September 6, a day synonymous with “heroism and sacrifice,” continued to serve as a source of inspiration for successive generations within the country.




Air Officer Commanding Air Marshal Ghazanfar Latif of Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Asghar Khan Academy is escorted by guards to inspect cadets at the mausoleum of Muhammad Ali Jinnah during Defence Day ceremonies, or Pakistan's Memorial Day, in Karachi, Pakistan September 6, 2023. (REUTERS)

“We owe our freedom and peace to unprecedented sacrifices of our martyrs and veterans,” the military’s media wing, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said in a statement. “Pakistan Armed Forces remain committed to ensuring the defense of motherland against all internal and external threats.”

The ISPR added that any hostile efforts to spoil the country’s peace would be met with the full might of Pakistani armed forces.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.