Lionel Messi and two more MLS players called up by Argentina for World Cup qualifying

Inter Miami’s Argentine forward Lionel Messi poses alongside teammates with the Leagues Cup trophy ahead of the Major League Soccer (MLS) match against Nashville SC at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Aug. 30, 2023. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 August 2023
Follow

Lionel Messi and two more MLS players called up by Argentina for World Cup qualifying

  • Thiago Almada of Atlanta United and Alan Velasco of FC Dallas were also included by coach Lionel Scaloni
  • The 36-year-old Messi joined Inter Miami in July

BUENOS AIRES: Lionel Messi was among three MLS-based players to be called up by Argentina on Thursday for the opening rounds of South American World Cup qualifying.
Thiago Almada of Atlanta United and Alan Velasco of FC Dallas were also included by coach Lionel Scaloni for games against Ecuador and Bolivia in September.
The 36-year-old Messi joined Inter Miami in July and has already scored 11 goals for the club.
World Cup champion Argentina will take on Ecuador at home on Sept. 7 in Buenos Aires, before playing Bolivia away in La Paz five days later.

Argentina:
Goalkeepers: Franco Armani (River Plate), Walter Benítez (PSV Eindhoven), Emiliano Martínez (Aston Villa), and Juan Musso (Atalanta).
Defenders: Lucas Esquivel (Athletico Paranaense), Juan Foyth (Villarreal), Lisandro Martínez (Manchester United), Nahuel Molina (Atletico Madrid), Gonzalo Montiel (Nottingham Forest), Nicolás Otamendi (Benfica), Germán Pezzella (Real Betis), Cristian Romero (Tottenham), Marcos Senesi (Bournemouth) and Nicolás Tagliafico (Lyon).
Midfielders: Thiago Almada (Atlanta United), Facundo Buonanotte (Brighton), Rodrigo De Paul (Atletico Madrid), Enzo Fernández (Chelsea), Alexis Mac Allister (Liverpool), Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen), Leandro Paredes (AS Roma), Guido Rodríguez (Real Betis) and Bruno Zapelli (Athletico Paranaense).
Forwards: Julián Álvarez (Manchester City), Lucas Beltrán (Fiorentina), Nicolás González (Fiorentina), Ángel Correa (Atletico Madrid), Ángel Di María (Benfica), Alejandro Garnacho (Manchester United), Lautaro Martínez (Inter Milan), Lionel Messi (Inter Miami) and Alan Velasco (FC Dallas).


Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Football star Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026

  • Brazil striker extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month
  • Neymar ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year

Brazil striker Neymar, ‌who extended his contract with his childhood club Santos last month, said that he may retire by the end of the year.
The 34-year-old forward returned to his boyhood club Santos in January 2025 and played a key role in their survival in the Brazilian top flight, scoring five times in their last ‌five matches.
But Neymar, ‌who has struggled with ‌injuries ⁠in recent seasons, ⁠remains doubtful for participation at the World Cup this year.
“I don’t know what will happen from now on, I don’t know about next year,” he told Brazilian online channel Caze on Friday.
“It ⁠may be that when December comes, ‌I’ll want to ‌retire. I’m living year to year now.”
“This ‌year is a very important year, not ‌only for Santos, but also for the Brazilian national team, as it’s a World Cup year, and for me too,” Neymar said.
Neymar, ‌who recently underwent successful knee surgery, has scored 79 goals ⁠for ⁠Brazil, the highest by any player, but he has not featured for the national side since October 2023.
Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti has made it clear over the past year that he will only include players who are fully fit for the World Cup, scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.