After Naseem heroics, Pakistan aim to whitewash Afghanistan in third ODI today 

Pakistan's Naseem Shah celebrates after Pakistan won by 1 wicket during the second one-day international (ODI) cricket match between Pakistan and Afghanistan at the Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium in Hambantota on August 24, 2023. (Photo courtesy: AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 26 August 2023
Follow

After Naseem heroics, Pakistan aim to whitewash Afghanistan in third ODI today 

  • Shah hit a boundary off the penultimate delivery to give Pakistan a dramatic win in second ODI at Hambantota 
  • The Green Shirts have already clinched the series by winning first two games against the luckless Afghanistan 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan are eyeing a clean sweep against Afghanistan as the two sides gear up for their third one-day international (ODI) in Colombo today. 

On Thursday, number ten batsman Naseem Shah hit a boundary off the penultimate delivery to give Pakistan a dramatic one-wicket win over a luckless Afghanistan in the second ODI at Hambantota. 

The Green Shirts have shown dominance in the three-match ODI series by winning the first two games. 

“Touchdown Colombo!” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) wrote on X messaging platform, sharing a video of the side’s arrival for the 3rd ODI. 

“The boys have arrived for the final match of the series.” 

Pakistan’s victory over Afghanistan on Thursday brought back to memory their last year’s win in similar fashion against Afghanistan at the Asia Cup 2022. 

It was Farooqi who was bowling to Shah in the last over of the match. Pakistan needed 11 runs and had two wickets in hand before Shah slapped Farooqi for two sixes in the last over, ensuring Pakistan won by two wickets. 

The Green Shirts have so far been undefeated against Afghanistan in the 50-over format. 


Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says 14 suspected militants killed in separate raids in insurgency-hit Balochistan

  • Counterterrorism department says eight suspects killed in Quetta operation, six in Barkhan raid
  • Security forces have stepped up anti-militancy operations after last month’s coordinated attacks in Balochistan

QUETTA: Pakistani security forces killed 14 suspected militants in two separate counterterrorism operations in southwestern Balochistan province, police said on Wednesday, as authorities intensify action against insurgent groups after recent large-scale attacks in the region.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest but least populated province bordering Iran and Afghanistan, has faced a decades-long separatist insurgency in which militants target security forces, infrastructure and civilians. The violence escalated last month when coordinated attacks across multiple districts in the province killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces. The state says 216 militants were killed in subsequent operations.

Separatist groups such as the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) accuse the state of exploiting the resource-rich region, a claim Islamabad denies.

“In Quetta’s Darakhshan area, eight suspected terrorists were killed in an exchange of fire during a Counter Terrorism Department operation,” a CTD spokesperson said in a statement, adding that three CTD personnel were also injured and weapons and ammunition were recovered.

The spokesperson said the killed suspects were believed to belong to a banned organization.

In a separate intelligence-based operation in Barkhan district, security forces killed six suspected militants during another firefight.

“During the operation, weapons and explosive material were recovered from the terrorists,” the spokesperson said, adding that the suspects were involved in sabotage activities and their bodies were shifted to Rakhni Hospital.

Security officials say raids and targeted operations will continue as part of broader efforts to dismantle militant networks operating across the province.